German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy Gretchen is 12 weeks and has terribly itchy skin. She saw the vet last week for puppy shots, and the vet said that the itchiness was due to her skin being very dry. The recommendation was to switch Gretchen to a fish-based food and add some omega-3 oil to her food, which I did (she was on Nulo chicken & sweet potato, I switched her to Nulo limited ingredient salmon). I was also told not to bathe her anymore if I could help it. I had bathed her twice prior to her vet visit due to potty accidents in her crate - the shampoo I had used was specifically supposed to be gentle for puppies, and had oatmeal in it. The vet didn't see any sign of fleas, and neither do I; Gretchen has had a Seresto collar on since she was 9 weeks.

Now I am sick with what I'm 99.9% sure is just a bad cold, but I am quarantining to be on the safe side. So I can't take her back to the vet just yet. But the itching seems to be getting worse rather than better, and I don't know what else I can do without resorting to the vet giving her some kind of steroids (the vet suggested a mild steroid as the next possible step, but didn't want to do that if we could help it). I've considered whether it might be the Seresto collar making the puppy itch, since I've had cats react negatively to it before - but she's not scratching at the collar much, she's mostly chewing along her flanks and back and legs. I'm not seeing any dandruff but from what I can see (her coat is VERY dense, and she is VERY averse to sitting still long enough for me to look) she does have very dry skin along her back still.

This pup is really, really miserable, acting out and running in circles and constantly scratching. Does anyone have any ideas for anything I could try that I might have here at home or could get from Chewy.com?

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Ugh. I'm going through the same thing with my 12-week old boy.

No fleas (I'd checked to make sure plus the vet also checked last week). He's been on Nexguard for flea protection and I've wondered if it's possibly a reaction to that because one of my last boys had a skin reaction to Bravecto. But the vet feels sure that it's just seasonal allergies from all the dying stuff in the air (leaves, dust mites, etc.) from the drier fall weather. She says she's seeing lots of pups and adult dogs in the past couple of weeks with similar itching symptoms and that this seems to be one of the worst years for allergies here where we live (western NC).

My boy's fur is glossy and his skin isn't dry except for one tiny dime-sized spot on his spine a couple inches above his tail that was a little flaky. My vet didn't think it was bad enough to start him on meds (nor do I want to), but she suggested I try one of the 'healthy' allergy chews because she's said she's heard positive feedback from other dogs' owners. So, I overnighted two different brands (PetHonesty and Zesty Paws) and started the one that arrived first (PetHonesty). Both brands have similar ingredients -- colostrum, turmeric, salmon oil, probiotics, etc. Both brands say relief may take up to 30 days, but that it helps most dogs much sooner, some within days. After five days on it, I think it may be helping a bit (or maybe it's just coincidental?). He gets two chews a day because of his size (nearly 40 lbs) and I space them out every 12 hours. Yesterday, there was no scratching or foot chewing most of the day, except for a little bit a couple hours before the next allergy chew was due. So I'm hopeful that this might be helping and will continue to help more until we're through this seasonal allergy thing.

Oh, and I've started cleaning off his feet when we come back in the house. It's a pain in the butt with a squirmy pup, but I'm hoping that helps too. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
Shadow has chronically dry skin. Last year I was advised by a member here to get a cool mist humidifier for winter. Best 40 bucks I ever spent.
I had put it away for the summer and a couple of weeks ago she was itching so I hauled it out and plugged it in. Itchy gone in a day. I run mine for a couple of hours twice a day. Her skin is better, my skin is better and bonus is the dust is way less.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My vet didn't think it was bad enough to start him on meds (nor do I want to), but she suggested I try one of the 'healthy' allergy chews
I was honestly wondering whether it might be a grass allergy, as the itching seemed to start when we began our daily walks - and Gretchen likes to throw herself down in the long grass where it's cool. The vet was more inclined to blame the baths I'd given her. The chews might be worth a try, though. I'll add them to my Chewy order! Thanks!

Shadow has chronically dry skin. Last year I was advised by a member here to get a cool mist humidifier for winter.
That's actually a really good idea, thank you! I hadn't thought about it, but I have been running the air conditioner in my bedroom looooong past when I usually would at night because she gets so hot - even when temps are down in the 60s. That's just sucking all the moisture out of the room and probably not helping either one of us at all. I'll have to switch to fan for her and a humidifier.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Humidifier is a great idea for this!

You may find this interesting!

Originally Posted by reggieDJ:

Problem:
Hi, My 4 year old shepherd has some sort of irritation on her ridge/back. Her coat lost all of its shine and looks like a coarse black cotton ball, definitely has a lot of dandruff

Solution:
Originally Posted by reggieDJ:

Day 4 of the ACV apple cider vinegar and I kid you not, it’s gone and if I scratch her back she doesn’t shake her leg, just happily wager her tail. I’m going to continue for another day or two just in case.

Below are my general instructions, but since your dog has already been bathed, just lightly wet his fur, then proceed.

For a natural approach to itching, purchase Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar can help with itching. You can get it from a health food store or, some grocery food stores now carry it .
Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. You will know it is organic because you will see “The Mother” (a brown substance, which contains the medicinal properties) floating around in the bottle. Make a 50/50 mix of the Organic ACV with purified water (not city tap water) and after a bath with a mild organic herbal shampoo (such as below that does not contain oat meal), rub the Organic ACV mix down into the skin/coat, working in small areas, until the whole dog is covered including legs and belly. Always be careful of eyes (vinegar stings). Let dog drip dry, do not rinse off. You can put the mix in a spray bottle and spray on their coats and specific itchy spots (if skin is not opened) a few times per day till you see improvement. You can also use this mix to wipe out ears.

IF you have a dog that may be sensitive to grains, beware of other GLUTEN BASED ingredients, with names that we do not recognize, that could be in the Doggie Shampoo that you are using!

WHEAT: hydrolyzed wheat protein or triticum vulgare (wheat) or stearyldimoniumhydroxypropyl (hydrolyzed wheat protein) or hydroxypropyltrimonium (hydrolyzed wheat protein).

OATMEAL: or avena sativa

BARLEY: hordeum vulgare or maltodextrin (can also be from barley)

RYE: secale cereale
Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein can be derived from: Soy, Corn, or Wheat

Herbal Shampoo's:
4 Legger: Amazon.com: 4-Legger USDA Certified Organic Dog Shampoo - All Natural and Hypoallergenic with Aloe and Lemongrass, Soothing for Normal, Dry, Itchy or Allergy Sensitive Skin - Biodegradable - Made in USA - 16 oz
Moosh: https://www.amazon.com/Moosh-Natural-Dog-Shampoo-Allergies/dp/B07X56JL53/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=moosh&qid=1602963136&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTVg3M1RUOVFWRjdMJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUExMDM1NTgxMUlBR1NKOUxHTEVKVSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDMzNDU0QVJIUkE0MVk3NzhYJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I would remove that Seresto collar for a time and see if it makes a difference.

You might want to look into this:
https://www.pennlive.com/crime/2020/05/counterfeit-and-potentially-harmful-seresto-flea-collars-for-pets-seized-in-pa.html By: John Luciew | [email protected]

Is that high-priced Seresto flea collar your pet is wearing authentic – or a Chinese knock-off that could leave chemical burns?
It’s a question that could worry pet owners after 13 international packages containing 31 cat and 27 dog flea collars bogusly branded with the Bayer Seresto label have been seized by U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents in Pittsburgh over the past two weeks.
WPXI-TV in Pittsburgh reports the seized Seresto collars weren’t Seresto at all.

Instead, the agency says, they’re Chinese-made counterfeit collars.

Even worse, the bogus collars not only might not protect your pet from fleas and ticks. They could be manufactured with harmful ingredients that can sicken pets -- even causing chemical burns on the pet’s skin.

All this, according to Customs and Border Protection warnings reported by WPXI, which adds:

The agency began finding and confiscating the shipments mid-April after confirming with the trademark holder that the collars were fake.

This is a great Oil that you may want to try:
Nordic Naturals:
  • Derived from 100% wild, sustainably sourced anchovies and sardines
  • Third-party tested to verify purity and freshness levels (very important)
  • Supports skin, coat, joint, and heart health
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CBY93XS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, I would not give the pup any treats other than the new food you've just started, just in case there is something in the treats that the pup is sensitive to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts