German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. My poor puppy has been scratching a lot so I'm beginning to get concerned. We have our first vet visit on Thursday. (first time at this vet). What should I expect from the vet as far as dealing with this itchy skin? I don't even know where to begin!

She eats Canidae all life stages supplemented with either raw ground beef or chicken liver, cottage cheese or yogurt twice a day, and I give her 400iu of vitamin E and a teaspoon of fish oil everyday.

Should I expect blood tests? Elimination diet? Cortizone Cream?
Her skin does not look raw or anything like that but she does constantly scratch at her belly, legs (front and back) and around her hips.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I took Mack in a couple of weeks ago for an itching problem. He's got a rash on his belly and chest. Vet did a skin scrape to check for mange and then gave a cortisone shot. He opined that Mack likely had a flea bite allergy and suggested stepping up the flea control regimen. He said some dogs are super sensitive to flea bites and it doesn't take a lot. He also suggested Benadryl twice a day. Mine eats Purina One large breed puppy chow. I need to decide on a bulletproof flea product. I really never see any fleas on him but vet said it would only take one or two bites to set him off.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
First thing I would eliminate is the dairy. I would also give only one meat - if she's eating Canidae, what meat does it have? If it's chicken, then stick with chicken. You won't know if it's the beef or chicken. How ol dis your pup? If it's the first vet visit I'd investigate other issues (fleas) first. Oh - sorry - just reread - new vet not new pup. Regardless, how old is the pup? You live in NJ I see (where?). Could be environment? Sand fleas if you go to the beach. Dust mites if your house looks anything like mine
Lots of things. Don't jump the gun with tests and treatment until you get the once over. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Originally Posted By: sprzybylMy poor puppy has been scratching a lot
How old is your dog?

Originally Posted By: sprzybylWhat should I expect from the vet as far as dealing with this itchy skin?
Itchy skin can be from so many different things, i.e. mites, bacteria, thyroid, allergy-finding which type, shampoo residue left on, staph, habit, boredom. . .

Originally Posted By: sprzybylShould I expect blood tests?
If there is a suspected environmental allergy then blood tests are the best way to find them.

Originally Posted By: sprzybylElimination diet?
If there is a suspected food allergy then elimination diets are the best way to find them.

Originally Posted By: sprzybylCortizone Cream?
I would stay away from steroids unless the dog is in dire need of relief. They will not fix the problem- only the symptoms for the time being. I think too many vets are too quick to give a shot and send you on your way. I have an allergy dog so I know the frustrations but have never resorted to steroids. If the vet does suggest such I would kindly refuse.

Great point from the other poster about the flea prevention. One flea bite can send an allergic dog into a rampage. I use advantix. Do you use flea prevention?

Giving a nice soothing bath may help- it always does for Penny.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally Posted By: natalie559
I think too many vets are too quick to give a shot and send you on your way.
Exactly the reason I ask. I don't know the vet very well so I am not sure what "type" of vet he is. I wasn't sure what to expect and wanted to see what people have experienced.

Why would you suspect food allergy over enviromental?

Let me clarify- it IS a new pup (two weeks now) AND a new Vet. This vet appointment was scheduled for just a health check. I have a Preventix collar on her, given to me by this vet for the interim until I can go in and talk to him about what programs I want to put her on. She is 18 weeks old. I've noticed her itching more and more and started to get concerned. I'm looking for some insight so I don't just go into the vet's office and take his word for it. Thanks for all of your suggestions!!!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally Posted By: JenM66First thing I would eliminate is the dairy. I would also give only one meat - if she's eating Canidae, what meat does it have? If it's chicken, then stick with chicken. You won't know if it's the beef or chicken. How ol dis your pup? If it's the first vet visit I'd investigate other issues (fleas) first. Oh - sorry - just reread - new vet not new pup. Regardless, how old is the pup? You live in NJ I see (where?). Could be environment? Sand fleas if you go to the beach. Dust mites if your house looks anything like mine
Lots of things. Don't jump the gun with tests and treatment until you get the once over. Good luck and keep us posted.
LOL- fairly new house, new pup, new vet... ::sigh:: lots of factors going on here! I am actually allergic to dairy myself, so that is my first suspect, but I guess I'm a little biased! I will let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally Posted By: Chris08I took Mack in a couple of weeks ago for an itching problem. He's got a rash on his belly and chest. Vet did a skin scrape to check for mange and then gave a cortisone shot. He opined that Mack likely had a flea bite allergy and suggested stepping up the flea control regimen. He said some dogs are super sensitive to flea bites and it doesn't take a lot. He also suggested Benadryl twice a day. Mine eats Purina One large breed puppy chow. I need to decide on a bulletproof flea product. I really never see any fleas on him but vet said it would only take one or two bites to set him off.
Did it help!?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Originally Posted By: sprzybyl Why would you suspect food allergy over enviromental?
I wouldn't.

Originally Posted By: sprzybylShe is 18 weeks old. I've noticed her itching more and more and started to get concerned.
At her age I wouldn't worry about allergies at all!

She probably just got into something, or it's her skin adjusting to the new world.

Unless there was hair loss I wouldn't worry or do a thing other than discuss a flea prevention with the vet, give the dog a soothing bath and keep an eye out.

Good luck with your new puppy!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
The cortisone shot took about 24 hours to take effect and was miraculous. He seems to be doing a lot better on the Benadryl but just as with humans, he seems a little sleepier. Then again it could be the heat in the 90's. I give him a Sulfodene bath that seems to help alot too. He's doing much better

1 - 9 of 9 Posts