German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ranger has some redness....mostly red dot looking spots on his belly. He is scratching at it quite a bit....but not a whole lot....if that makes sense...it is not a constant bothering him.

It is not fleas...he has frontline on and I went over him carefully and found no fleas or flea dirt. I gave him a bath with some sensitive skin aloe and oatmeal non-soap dogwash we have for our highly allergic mutt. But he's still red on his belly.

I am not positive...but I think this all began when we got our new area rug in our house. We just got it last week...end of the week was when I noticed the redness and bumps.

Could he be allergic to something the new rug was treated with? It covers almost our whole living room floor...and he has been laying on it.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Originally Posted By: laura929I am not positive...but I think this all began when we got our new area rug in our house. We just got it last week...end of the week was when I noticed the redness and bumps.
It's likely more than a coincidence. What kind of rug is it and where did you get it from?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a Shaw brand area floor rug. We bought it new at the local furniture store. Its just regular type carpet.

But it had a very strong "new smell" to it.

I know people who have worked in carpet factories....so I know they are treated with lots of chemicals and dyes.

Just not sure what to do about it other than try to keep him off it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I just got a new rug in my LR as well. It took almost a week of constant airflow day and night to get rid of most of that new carpet smell. In the meantime I had her spending limited time directly on it. Thankfully, she hasn't had any reactions to it. If I had thought harder about it, I would have waited to get a new rug.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It doesnt look quite like those pictures. His is not nearly that red....it looks like red splotches...not really defined spots.

I noticed today it is barely red today....but he has not laid on that rug at all today.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just a thought but could it possibly be a heat rash? Is it very hot where you are? It was the first thing that popped it my head when I read your post so I thought I would throw it out there :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts