German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 20 week old black male puppy. He is fed origin large breed puppy and has been since I got him at 10 weeks and gets frontline.

At about 14 weeks he started itching exseively getting progressively worse over a five day period. At this point there had been no change in shampoo, bedding, food etc. He had what appeared to be white flakes on his skin which to me indicated dry skin and I started giving him fish oil. The itching became worse and we took him to our vet who skin tested for mites. The skin test was negative but the vet said that he could still have mites so the vet treated him for mites by giving him a shot and said to give him benadryl which we did. I saw little improvement. We returned to the vet and four weeks after the first shot the vet gave him a second shot and gave him medicine to treat the itch.

The vets conclusion at this point is that there are three things that cause dogs to itch.
1 fleas
2 mites
3 allergies

He said that if this second shot an new medicine does not fix it then it may be allergies. There was a huge improvement for the first six days when he was receiving the new medicine either twice a day or every day. Once the medicine was given every other day he started itching again. So here are my questions.

1 is my vet accurate that there are only three things that cause itching
2 if he has been on orijen since ten weeks, and he does not itch for the first four weeks, if he was allergic wouldn't he have started itching as soon as we put him on orijen?
3 if I am going to switch his food to rule out allergies and find something what should I switch to?
4. Is there something specific to Gsds that I am missing

I am at a loss here am tired of the vet not having answers and hate to see the dog in discomfort. Other then the itching the dog is perfect health wise.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Freyja went through a similar stage around the same age. She developed a fever and major itchiness. I couldn't touch her skin without her crying and scratching. Fortunately for me my future-father-in-law was my veterinarian and therefore I had access to all of my questions. We switched Freyja onto hypo-allergenic for several days then slowly switched her off. We have never had a similar instance. Therefore my vote is on food allergies.

·
Registered
627 Posts
The only food she didn't react to was Science Diet Large Breed Puppy. I have tried several since but she has had reactions to all others...odd dog.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I know in the winter I have to up the oil in my dogs food. A fish oil capsule once a day seems to be working for us.....

All the heat in the house dries my girls right out....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts