German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 7 month old male GSD. He has been eating blue buffalo chicken puppy grain free. I started him on this food and then my vet told me to get him off grain free and switch him to royal Canin Germans shepherd. Immediately after switching him to this he would hardly eat and would itch constantly. I switched him back to the blue buffalo chicken. And the itching has went down quite a bit. But still itches behind his ears every now and then and has lost some hair behind his ears from scratching, most of it was from when he was on royal Canin. Is it chicken a common allergy? Looking for some possible guidance or experience.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi there, my female GSD has also suffered from some mild allergies / itching throughout her life. I have learned that chicken (and other protein sources) can often be more common of an allergy than grains. I have switched foods many many times in search of what may be the cause, and my best advice is to find a food that he does well on and stick with it! It can also take months after reducing / eliminating the cause for the skin issues to calm down, therefore be slow and careful with your switches so you can see if it's really working long term for your dog. The most common advice I have seen is to start by switching to a high quality single protein food (check the label carefully), with a protein that he has never have had before. I personally stick with Diamond Naturals or Victor brand foods, and I like them both. I do not feed the grain free varieties, grain doesn't seem to affect my girl.

Also be aware that his allergies may also extend to environmental ones (such as dust mites in winter, or pollen in the summer). If you notice his allergies being worse at certain times of the year, this may also be a factor. Some dogs have allergies to multiple things so best to keep an eye throughout his life of his symptoms and what may be triggering them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts