German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would appreciate any thoughts and opinions!

I have a 11 week old GS puppy who was fed Royal Canin Adult when he arrived to our home. After reading all about the different foods on this forum, I've decided to transition to Orijin LB Puppy. I'm transitioning very slowly and he's still 2/3 Royal Canin and 1/3 Orijin. He also gets some cut up cheese when I'm training with him as he loves it.

He is quite an itchy puppy - could this be from the food? He was itchy right from the start. Any ideas out there as to what could be causing it? Is it normal? Should I finish the food transition and see if he's still itching?

Thanks! Appreciate your ideas.

·
Registered
706 Posts
This was the case with my pup when we brought him home too. We are now doing a food trial with him and the itching has decreased since we have removed chicken and grains from his diet. However it has taken months to see results and we are still unsure whether or not he is reacting to chicken, grians, or both. Nor do we know what grains he is allergic to!

Talk to your vet about your options for an itchy pup! It might be food allergies or it might be something more simple.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Could be coat, could be dry skin, could be itiches from puppy fuzz. Interesting thought though, my girl was itchy also, and ruled out everything then changed to a corn/wheat free food.. She quit itching almost totally but still did some. My brain kicked in one day and I thought, she is on corn/wheat free food, but the treats I give her have, you guessed it, corn and wheat. DUH, so I was careful to switch to a corn/wheat free food, but kept giving her dog treats that had them in the ingrediants.
I have now switched to home made treats or treats that are corn/wheat free and her itching has stopped totally. Might be something to check out, what kind of training treats are you feeding? Just a thought

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. He is getting Royal Canin which is not grain free so I will transition to the Orijin LB Puppy sooner rather than later and see if the grain free is better for him.

His main treats are kibble and little bits of cheese - I've stayed away from the milk bones or others that I'm not sure what's in them! Was buying a liver treat but too costly!!

Will see how he does over time going with the grain free - thanks again.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
We tried grain free but the fish in the particular formula we tried proved to be problematic to Shasta so the moral of my story is, it could be the grains in the foods, but it could also be the protein source. If she still seems itchy after the switch to grain free, try a different protein source.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Same here, Addie was a very itchy puppy. We switched her from Iams to Solid Gold Wolf Cub which is corn free, grain free, etc... and the first ingredient is bison. We have seen great improvement and the itching has virtually disappeared. Good luck to you and your pup!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
give her a bath usuing a natural
or organic shampoo. read the ingredient
list of what your feeding. compare.
you might something in what you're feeding
that's causing the problem.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Nothing to contribute to the OP that hasn't already been said but just wanted to point out to Addiegirl that Solid Gold Wolf Cub is NOT grain free! Their only GF formula is Barking at the Moon. Though it's still a really good food. ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
OK.....so I switched to the Orijin LBP but that definitely didn't work for Jax - he had pudding stools and the most awful gas. I've read a lot of other comments on this forum about Orijin being too rich for some dogs. I switched to Acana Adult Large Breed and have had him on it for about a week but he's still itchy (including his ears). Somewhere in this forum someone mentioned that if a dog itches his right ear, it could indicate allergies? Is this correct? Seems but a bit strange, but I do notice it's his right ear he's itching the most. A week isn't long enough to do a real test, so I'll continue on for a bit and see if the itching clears up. If not, maybe a chicken-free food? I've heard many dogs are allergic to chicken? Any recommendations for a 4 month old puppy if I have to change again? I'm watching the calcium levels, so it would have to be suitable for puppies. Thanks!!

PS I've started him on Salmon oil capsules and Vit E to see if that helps

·
Registered
90 Posts
1 Cut the Cheese. Not literally but if your feeding him cheese I would stop. See if that helps.

2. Try a limited ingredient grain free that is also potato free. some dogs are showing signs of reaction to heavy potato laden grain frees.

I would suggest Back to Basics Pork Formula. It's highly palatable and limited ingredient.
www.backtobasicspetfood.com yes you can feed it from puppy to senior adult.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Itchey

Hi
Use Grizzley salmon oil in the bottle every day.. Follow the directions. Feed a god canned duck and potato diet with the matching kibble. I buy Royal Canin vet canned and kibble duck and potato. Has no other ingredients except vitamins etc. Always soak the kibble in hot water for 15 mins before mixing in the canned. Use a good oatmeal shampoo and conditioner and have the vet check your dog's skin. Shepherds are known for allergy probems. Feed only treats and bisuits that are grain free. You can have your dog allergy tested at the vet. A blood sample. It's called VARL allergy test. That way you can find out what is really going on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts