German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have been having an issue with my dog Apollo's skin. I can tell he is very uncomfortable as of late and here are his symptoms;

1. Excessive eye "gunk"/discharge
2. Dry clumpy spots on this skin, particularily around his belly.
3. Cracked paw pads, they are bleeding at the ends of the pads and i have wraped them up with gauze and applied polysporin.

People who i talk too expect it has to do with his food and maybe an alergic reaction. I have tried changing foods and recently changed to a lamb and rice forumla. I also add a table spoon of olive oil to his food and a hard boiled egg every other day.

Please offer any suggestions!

thanks all!

-Marco

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
Last vet check was?? Welcome to the forums, BTW! I would get vet check, then go from there...

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Welcome Marco!

I would see a vet and be ready to ask for a referral to a dermatologist.

Your dog could have a regular staph infection-low thyroid-pemphigus-zinc deficiency-German Shepherd pyoderma-etc. so it's too hard to say over the internet. But those would be some of the things I would have in mind, in addition to food or environmental allergies.

What food are you feeding?

What tests/vetting have you done thus far?

Also-where are you located-in general-not specific town, but like...SE PA or something like that-that might help to know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello and thanks for the response.

We feed him science diet original for adult dogs and we are in the process of switching him over to science diet lamb and rice formula. Currently he is getting half and half untill I switch to the lamb and rice only.

When we went to the vet only one of his paws was bleeding, so i guess the vet thought it was a minor cut and gave him antibiotics. He did not test for anything.

I am located in Toronto, Canada

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
How old is he?
I would go back to the vet if he is not responding to the antiboc.

Welcome to the forum. I am having similar issues with my pup Shadow. First it was just his pads, and nails. He had a biopsey done. (do not recommend that). They were looking at lupus or cancer.

I have switched foods too. To Chicken Soup. I have done a lot of research and I am putting him on a vitimin called Longevity. He is was very malnoruished.
Is your dog a rescue or is this just he was healthy then this out of the blue?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hes 7 years old, bought from a breeder as a puppy, never had any issues, very healthy other then the skin/eyey problems that came out of the blue, well actually the eye gunk has been going on for a a little while but the paw pads came out of the blue

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
He could have environmental allergies --weeds, grasses, tree pollen. Or something similar, like perhaps chemical. The paw problems indicate that it *might* not be a food allergy to me, and his tummy as well.

What antibiotics were prescribed? Topical antibiotics (applied to skin)?

Have you been going anywhere different? A new park? A friend's house (maybe a friend that has moved?) Has the park recently put down beauty bark? Where do you go that might have change management? Think about anything that might have changed...Are you using a new detergent? Did you recently get your carpets cleaned? Is your neighbor using a new landscaper? Did you put in new sod? Any new chemicals anywhere? Can you talk to the parks department and ask them?

Often, we assume a food allergy but it may something in the environment.

That said, that Science Diet Lamb and Rice isn't doing you a bit of good if it IS a food allergy. One of the most common allergies in dogs are corn and wheat. Look at the ingredients in your food:

Lamb Meal, Brewers Rice, Rice Flour, Ground Whole Grain Wheat, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Corn Gluten Meal, Cracked Pearled Barley, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Beet Pulp, Soybean Oil, Chicken Liver Flavor, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Iodized Salt, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

The word "recipe" means that they can add a lot of stuff other than Lamb and Rice. Honestly, I kind of think you're wasting your time switching to this food. I don't know what's available in Toronto. If you can find Natural Balance (one of the single protein/grains formulas), that would be a good food to switch to for right right now. Something with simple basic ingredients. California Natural works.

Where are our Canadian members? What foods are available up there that are good for this dog?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
In addition to the corn and wheat, the food (Science Diet listed above) contains barley and flax...two other semi-common causes of allergies in dogs.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Originally Posted By: Marco1Hello and thanks for the response.

We feed him science diet original for adult dogs and we are in the process of switching him over to science diet lamb and rice formula. Currently he is getting half and half untill I switch to the lamb and rice only.

When we went to the vet only one of his paws was bleeding, so i guess the vet thought it was a minor cut and gave him antibiotics. He did not test for anything.

I am located in Toronto, Canada
I would do a couple of things. First I would dump the Science Diet, and find something with no corn, no wheat, no barley, no by-products, no sorghum. Last I looked, the SD lamb and rice wasn't as bad as their others, but there are still things in there that can cause a lot of problems.

The other thing that I might consider is a blood panel. There are a number of things that can cause those bad problems, and you might want to eliminate some of the more serious ones. you can certainly wait on the panel and see what happens once you get off the SD. But being 7 years old, it's not such a bad idea to have one run anyway, as a check, and as a baseline for later.

Your dog hasn't been on any drugs lately, has he?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey,

Thanks for the responses guys/girls. Nothing i can think of has changed in his routine at all...i took him to the emergency vet, they put him on anibiotics, steroids and eye drops, they also said there is a lump on his chest. He is going in to see his regular vet tommorrow where they will perform some tests.

I am hoping for the best.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would not vaccinate your dog anymore if you are doing yearlys. Do titers instead. Vaccines can cause some of the problems you are having with your dogs skin or make the current problem worse. Science Diet in my opinion is a very poor quality food. Vets push it because they get kick backs on it. The more fresh you can go, the better off your dog will be. I like Honest Kitchen "Force" for my dogs with a small amount of raw meat added to it. They also love Orijen dog food. We just bought some a couple of weeks ago and they really like this one. Good luck, I hope the lump is nothing to worry about. Steroids are okay short term but not long term. Getting to the source of the problem is key.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts