German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Shadow is my first dog I've had, he's a 4 month old GSD/ Belgian Sheepdog, still in his puppy fluff. The poor thing has horribly itchy, flaky skin, and hes getting a few really thin spots around his eyes and on his back legs. He just constantly itches and chews himself all day :( He is deflead regularly, I cant see any evidence of fleas on him, and he has been on a raw food diet since we brought him home at 7 weeks old. Any advice would be so appreciated!! Thanks heaps in advance :)

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
If it is demodex mange, there's no quick fix. ALL dogs have demodex mites, it's considered part of the normal canine flora. But a few dogs have a reaction to the mites, so it's really an issue of immunity more than it is the mites themselves. There are shampoos and dips that kill the mites, but they most always come back eventually.

The good news is, many puppies will get over demodex mange as they grow up and the immune system matures.

In any case, a vet visit is in order to determine the cause of the itching and hair loss.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts