German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My year old male GSD just recently started scratching his armpits an odd amount. He isn't going crazy over it, but maybe twice a day I'll catch him giving himself a good scratch for a minute or so. I checked it out but didn't see anything too alarming. He is on flea and tic meds so he seems fine there. The area is slightly red but no other symptoms. He has sensitive skin, so I tried some usual tactics - Sulphur powder, coconut oil, etc. But it doesn't seem to help beyond a temporary fix. 50 mg of benadryl twice a day will keep the scratching down.

Is it possible he has seasonal allergies? We have a lot of pollen in the air right now. Any suggestions on what to do?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I agree with you that it's probably allergies. The redness is most likely from the scratching. If you are not giving it already, I would give fish oil capsules, the coconut oil for him to eat (start with 1 tsp. twice daily), also apply the coconut oil topically. My Sting does have some seasonal allergies, and in addition to the fish oil and coconut oil, I give HomeoPet Skin & Itch drops. They do seem to help the itching and the redness.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip! I wasn't able to get out and buy fish oil yesterday, but I gave him a scoop of coconut oil to eat. I haven't caught him scratching since :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts