German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 year old has had ear issues on and off, always with her left ear. It will appear scaly or flaky and she will hold it off to the side. Ear wash and chlorhexidine wipes have almost always been enough, she had ear drops once.

She is covered in sebaceous cysts, she has always had them. With age, she has more and more. She was scratching a lot around her collar, I removed it. I thought maybe a cyst was bothering her because she had a larger one there. She has now scratched her neck bare in one spot. It isn't a hot spot, it is dry and flaky looking instead of raw looking. It looks the same way her outer ear looks when her ear bothers her.

Chlorhexidine wipes seem to be helping, but what causes this? I feel like it is vet-worthy because she scratched a bare spot, but it isn't infected looking and she is otherwise happy and healthy, so I am not sure.

What could be going on?

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Dry skin itself will make her itch. Maybe you can apply a little baby oil or vitamin E oil to the dry spots.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Have you made any changes in her diet or started using a new laundry detergent or cleaning solution in your house?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No diet or laundry changes. I have never once posted a kibble on this site that wasn't slammed as awful, so I can't say her food is great. I can say it hasn't changed recently.

Vitamin E/Baby oil is a good idea, I will try that.

She is uncomfortable, she wants to scratch and looks so forlorn when told not to

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
What about an antihistamine to help with the itching?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts