German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone on here will be able to help! Holly has been scratching, chewing and biting herself almost constantly for the last few days. When it first started, I assumed that her flea drops had worn off a bit early, so I gave her a new dose on Wednesday. Still itchy. Last night, I gave her a bath, thinking maybe she got into some grass or other natural itchy stuff during our search and rescue training. This morning, she is still itchy. I am really starting to get worried as I just noticed she's chewed a bare spot onto her tail.

Holly is the only one of my three dogs that's itching like this. I heard last week that the German lines are more sensitive to weather changes than others (it just got really hot and dry here last week) but I don't know if that's true. I am on the edge of giving her a bit of Benadryl to see if that helps. Does anyone have any idea what this might be? Is the rumor about German lines true? She shows no signs of fleas, a rash, etc. Her skin looks normal! Grrrr! Any advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Hmmmmmm......it really could have lots of reasons, I'm afraid.

Parasites: not only fleas, bu also mites. These are soooo small, that we can hardly see them.
Allergy: plants, grasses, herbs. But also something in her food?

If you can't find evidence of fleas, I would have her checked by a vet. They can scrape some skin off her and check this under the microscope.
If that doesn't show a culprit, check her feed, and maybe try something else.

A good, natural anti-itch remedy is vinegar. Make a solution (well diluted!) of 1 cup of water with a small amount of vinegar (about 1 tabelspoon, not more). Wipe the itchy spots with this (but don't drench her). It will stop the itch. Any vinegar will do, but the more "natural" it is, the better.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I'm going through the same thing. I am convinced it's airbourne that is making my dog itch. I thought I had things under control but discovered one of his ears was fired red this week so now I'm treating that. Really don't think it is a food allergy but am keeping him on venison and sweet potato.

Were you and your dog in a new training area you had never been in before?

·
Registered
15,940 Posts
sounds like your one pup may have a flea allergy. Just one bite can set this off and the other dogs wouldn't be affected.

Maybe chiggers bother this dog? I say that because I think that's what's attacked my legs like crazy. I didn't think they were supposed to show up this early but my ankles and legs have been seriously attacked (through clothing). I'm in Little Rock so we're in a similiar climate. (Bloody miserable already!)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, I never thought about mites or food. Those might be things to consider. Anna, we have been training in familiar areas, but due to various conflicts with some of our team members (out of town, family emergencies, etc.) we had taken a break from training for a couple of weeks earlier this month. Like I said, the weather just changed and we've started training again consistently, so it might be something airborne that wasn't there before, like pollen. If this continues we'll have to take her to the vet. Between the three dogs, we've been in and out of the vet's office almost every month since December. Make it stop!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Im going thru the same thing. I feel your pain. Im going to try the vinegar and see if it will help.
If it doesnt stop I am going to make a Vet appt. Its maddening trying to figure it out!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She gets one and a half cups of Canidae All Life Stages twice per day. She does not get very many treats (she's a working dog so I have to keep her weight steady) but when she does they're usually Beggin' Strips or something similar.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
sounds like your one pup may have a flea allergy. Just one bite can set this off and the other dogs wouldn't be affected.

I agree! The chewing along the tail sounds alot like flea bite (allergy). Besides the vinegar you can also apply tea compresses (black or green tea) by soaking a teabag and letting it sit on the affected area for some time. If you dare, you could apply honey to the spots- it relieves itching, is a natural antibiotic and promotes healing. I would also put her on high doses of good quality fish oil (like 6-8 capsules a 1000mg/day) and VitC for its anti-inflammatory properties.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Originally Posted By: editor2 but when she does they're usually Beggin' Strips or something similar.
You might try different treats

BACON FLAVOR
Ingredients
Ground wheat, corn gluten meal, wheat flour, ground yellow corn, water, sugar, glycerin, soybean meal, hydrogenated starch hydrolysate, bacon (preserved with sodium nitrite), salt, bacon fat (preserved with BHA),meat, phosphoric acid, sorbic acid (a preservative), calcium propionate (a preservative), natural and artificial smoke flavors, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 1, Yellow 6).

·
Registered
10 Posts
My GSD has the same problem. I have a feeling it is his food, because when he was eating eukanuba, he didnt itch. I switched him from that food (because it was making him sick) to breeder's choice, then to Blue, and now he is on royal canin. The last two food switches have been mostly because of his itching, but it just isn't appearing to go away...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Zoe developed her allergies around this time... hope that's not the case but since the pollen count just rose to high levels again recently, that may be a possibility. Zoe tries to eat her feet alot but she gets benedryl when needed for her allergies so that usually helps her some. If her skin is dry, having a bath might make it worse. Hope she gets better! See you Friday.

·
Registered
65 Posts
We have the same problem. Dakota was on Natural Balance and had done well for a few months, starting chewing on herself and making sores. I wanted to change food because I was worried about the high carbs in NB so after she was spayed in March I started changing to Wellness core, She is still on it and still chewing. I took her to the vet and they gave her Atarax an antihistimine, it seems to help but she still chews on herself. They also said it is ok to give her benedryl. I have bathed her twice with an oatmeal shampoo. Used gold bond powder on her. Nothing seems to make it go away. Her ears also get red from time to time but just cleaning usually clears it up.

·
Registered
15,220 Posts
Can also be the food. That's why I don't feed Canidae anymore. Food was great for awhile, then one dog broke out and had to have cortisone shots. After switching foods, no more problems. Breeder of Kim's dog thought flea meds had worn off as well and was giving extra doses to find out it was the food.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it is the food, what do you guys recommend switching her to? We just had a new pet supplies place open nearby so it won't be hard to shop around. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
15,220 Posts
I went from canidae to nature's variety for most of my guys. But I really do like Taste of the Wild. I do the pacific stream version since it's not as high in protein, etc as their other 2 formula's. Tractor supply has even started carrying it. I really like the grain free foods, just have to find one that isn't too high for puppies. I've fed grace and gator (when I had him) pacific stream. Gator's hips looked excellent. Still waiting to do Grace's.

I did go back and try feeding canidae once after that outbreak a few years later. Same thing, good for a few months, then bam, itchies all over again. Poor vishnu was losing hair left and right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts