German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I have a 9 week old pup, and I do realize that the stool eating is somewhat expected of him.

I also recently changed his treats to the wellness holistic treats. So I am guess that might also cause the loose stools. I have caught him eating his own poop and others. I have had an initial appointment with the vet, and since then is when the loose stools started.

In reference to the itching, I cannot see any critters crawling around on him, but I could be missing them. The vet said she could not see anything, suggested it might be sensitive skin. I just gave him a bath yesterday because he fell on some poop while we were playing.

My main concern is the stools, and getting the absolute BEST nutrition I can for him. I just ordered the Wellness Large Breed puppy food, which looked like it would be a great choice for how active we will be. If anyone has any suggestions that I should get for supplements, or any kind of assistance it would be appreciated!!

-Matt

·
Registered
632 Posts
Definitely sounds like nutrient deficiency and possibly a food allergy (grains?) but I am not an expert.

Wellness is pretty good, but they have recalls from time to time. Hopefully the grain free diet can resolve all these issues.

For relief of the itching, try an anti-itch spray, and comb out once a day rather than every couple days until you notice a skin/coat improvement.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
I feed raw but when we travel we use The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Dog Food (IMHO). It is the next best thing to raw because it is 100% Human food. There isn't any other pet food company in the USA that is legally allowed to use "Human Grade" on their packaging and advertising except for HK, so that would be my vote for food for your pup. (And I do not work for the company!;)) The Love and the Embark are both Non-Grain foods for "All Life Stages" which may solve some of the itching problems if your pup is sensitive to grains. HK varieties are not "extruded" as kibbles are. This minimally processed food may just be what your dogs' system is craving to solve the stool eating but I also believe your pup needs a digestive enzyme and pro-biotic to help with this. Here is a great one that has both in it. They use raw, whole foods most of which are certified organic: The Wholistic Pet "An advanced, cutting-edge, concentrated formula of digestive enzymes & powerful probiotics that provides superior digestive health for pets."
Also, Carmspac has a great one called Sunday Sundae. PM her here to ask about it: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...carmspack.html

IMO adding raw meat to his food several times per week may also help with the stool eating. The domestic dog differs by only 1 percent from a wolf so they their system was designed for meat! You can use ground meat from the grocery store, such as beef, chicken and turkey. Very EASY to add. I can help you with this if you decide to do it.

Don't let the price of The Honest Kitchen scare you as a 10 pound DEHYDRATED box will RE-hydrate to approximately 35 to 40 pounds of food.
You can rotate these two varieties of HK to give your pup the advantage of the different ingredients in each. Compare the limited ingredients to other foods.
EMBARK (Turkey - Grain Free) - Most Popular 10# = $48 Makes 40 pounds
Ideal for active adult dogs, puppies, pregnancy and lactation.
All Life Stages: Dehydrated cage-free USDA turkey, organic flaxseed, potatoes, celery, spinach, carrots, organic coconut, apples, organic kelp, eggs, bananas, cranberries, rosemary, tricalcium phosphate, choline chloride, zinc amino acid chelate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, potassium iodide, potassium chloride, iron amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate.
Love (Beef, Grain Free) 10#= $95 Makes 40 pounds
Ideal for Puppies and active adult dogs, particularly those with food sensitivities to grains, gluten, eggs and those who need a low carbohydrate diet . All Life Stages: Dehydrated hormone-free beef, sweet potatoes, potatoes, organic flaxseed, organic coconut, parsley, dandelion greens, papaya, cranberries, pumpkin, honey, rosemary, tricalcium phosphate, choline chloride, zinc amino acid chelate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, potassium iodide, potassium chloride, iron amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate.

Another thing that will help are omega oils. I feel Krill Oil is the best as it is 48 more times effective than regular fish oils because the Omega 3' are in the form of Phospholipids. Another healthy reason is b/c it contains Astaxanthin which is an antiodidant found in the algae that the krill eat. Mercola Healthy Pets has a nice one that you just spray on every day: Krill Oil For Pets - Mercola.com or while you pup is small, you can use a children's product several times per week: Krill Oil for Kids - Mercola.com

Hope this all helps!
Moms:)

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
I would definitely not get any inoculations or use a topical flea/tick product during this time as his immune system is trying to fight off something. It could make his issues much worse. A brand new little body like his can only fight so many invasions (toxins) at a time. :eek:

As for the itching you may want to try this homeopathic product to detox his system: Only Natural Pet Skin & Itch Dog & Cat Homeopathic Remedy
Homeopathic's are given about 20 minutes away from food or water.
There are other herbals that I can suggest. If you are interested, just pm me any time! :)

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely sounds like nutrient deficiency and possibly a food allergy (grains?) but I am not an expert.

Wellness is pretty good, but they have recalls from time to time. Hopefully the grain free diet can resolve all these issues.

For relief of the itching, try an anti-itch spray, and comb out once a day rather than every couple days until you notice a skin/coat improvement.

I went ahead and made an appointment with the vet again. I will go get some anti ich spray to at least help the little fella out. I am very new to owning my own pet, and plan to do a lot of training with him down the road so any assistance is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would definitely not get any inoculations or use a topical flea/tick product during this time as his immune system is trying to fight off something. It could make his issues much worse. A brand new little body like his can only fight so many invasions (toxins) at a time. :eek:

As for the itching you may want to try this homeopathic product to detox his system: Only Natural Pet Skin & Itch Dog & Cat Homeopathic Remedy
Homeopathic's are given about 20 minutes away from food or water.
There are other herbals that I can suggest. If you are interested, just pm me any time! :)

He does not itch constantly, but I want to be sure there is nothing out of the ordanary. What will I be looking for on him, physically? I work in a hospital so I know how to handle human problems, but I am clueless with dogs.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
It could be any number of things from a flea bite, to inoculation reaction, to food. But if it is not a costant itching that keeps you both up at night and he is not getting dehydrated from the diarrhea, you may want to try other avenues first.
A regular (western) veterinarian will most likely give him a cortisone/steroid shot and a topical with steroids in it which will "cover up" his issue instead of getting to the bottom of what is REALLY going on in his body. A Holistic vet would never do this. Sure, it will make him stop itching BUT these things would add an additional assault to his fragile system.
If you'd like a list of Holistic Vets in your state, pm me and I'll gladly send them. :)

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It could be any number of things from a flea bite, to inoculation reaction, to food. But if it is not a costant itching that keeps you both up at night and he is not getting dehydrated from the diarrhea, you may want to try other avenues first.
A regular (western) veterinarian will most likely give him a cortisone/steroid shot and a topical with steroids in it which will "cover up" his issue instead of getting to the bottom of what is REALLY going on in his body. A Holistic vet would never do this. Sure, it will make him stop itching BUT these things would add an additional assault to his fragile system.
If you'd like a list of Holistic Vets in your state, pm me and I'll gladly send them. :)

That would be great, I did a quick search for "holistic vets kentucky", and it brought up Banfield hospital in Louisville (40 min from Ft. Knox). I have read some terrible reviews about banfield, I will ask the vet when we have our appointment about REAL treatments for this, and not just something to mask what's going on.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Yeah definitely not Banfield. My grandparents live in the Knobs. There is a great vet who takes a holistic approach and gets to the root of the issue rather than being a symptom-treater off Old Vincennes Road near 264.

He may be retired :(. I'll call my grandma today and see what his name is.

What part of Louisville are you in? It's my hometown!

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
That would be great, I did a quick search for "holistic vets kentucky", and it brought up Banfield hospital in Louisville (40 min from Ft. Knox). I have read some terrible reviews about banfield, I will ask the vet when we have our appointment about REAL treatments for this, and not just something to mask what's going on.
Unfortunately, your veterinarian will not understand about "Real" treatments. They are NOT trained in that way, only Holistic vets are.

If you read the following, you will see why it is different: Vets On Vaccines | Dogs Naturally Magazine Also read all of the other articles on Dog's Naturally Magazine to get information on "Natural Health".

These are the only 3 for your state registered with American Holistic Veteraniarin Members Association: Unfortunate too that "HOLISTIC" is just a "Buzz Word" now......everyone is jumping on the band wagon! :=/
Fowler, Jeanne

DVM
ALL ABOUT PETS, INC. VET SERVICES
864-834-7334
409 OLD BUNCOMBE RD
Travelers Rest
SC
United States
www.holisticvetsc.com
SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (IVAS), Chinese Herbs, Conventional Medicine, Homeopathy-Classical, Homotoxicology, VOM, Western Herbs
Roberts, Ruth

DVM
Sun Dog Cat Moon Veterinary Clinic
843-437-0063
2908 Maybank Highway
Johns Island
SC
United States
www.sundogcatmoon.com
SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture (CHI), Chinese Herbs (Chi Institute), Conventional Medicine, Glandular Therapy, Homeopathy
Timmerman, Charlie

DVM
AIKEN VETERINARY CLINIC
803-648-6886
1316 RICHLAND AVE EAST
Aiken
SC
United States
www.aikenvet.com
SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Chinese Herbs, Clinical Nutrition, Conventional Medicine, Homeopathy, Magnetic Therapy, Nutrition, VOM

A long drive would be worth it if these are not close to you. Then they will probably consult by phone. :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Not to thread jack or change topics, and I ABSOLUTELY respect your opinion and faith in holistic medicine, but I think a really great vet who takes a holistic approach (holistic in the scientific term of the world, not solely limited to an ethereal treatment) can be equally as successful.

It's important to find a vet who will always ask "Why?" and "How?" These vets will be able to help educate you and suggest treatments for the problem, not the symptoms.

Not every "Western" vet is going to inject a dog with a steroid for itchy skin; in fact, they are well educated in food allergies, local and regional allergies, and other conditions that can be causing the problem and they can treat accordingly.

Don't necessarily limit yourself to one style of treatment, or an "all-natural" treatment. A lot of times, all-natural is great, I even prefer it most often, but there are times when sometimes you have no choice if you don't want the dog to suffer. The dog can't tell you, "Dad, I only want organic," or "I'd rather suffer than take a synthetic pill to help deworm me."

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Hi Buggibub,
I was not suggesting never using Western type treatments, just that most vets (if you read the article below) only know one way and have not studied or are unaware of what else would work without drugs.

My dogs get VERY limited vaccinations and on occasion have to use meds too. Our male just tangled with a 35 pound raccoon on vacation and got scratched and I got him a prescription for Clindamycin so that he would not get blood poisoning from the bacteria on the raccoons finger nails! Of course he got heavy pro-biotics and homeopathic's too! ;)

Sorry if my post was mis-understood. I just had to learn the hard way with our first GSD an a well meaning vet. I'm fortunate now b/c my vet it both!:)

·
Registered
632 Posts
No worries- all about best of both worlds. Right there with you. Our vet is a TAMU grad- I swear he's half shaman.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah definitely not Banfield. My grandparents live in the Knobs. There is a great vet who takes a holistic approach and gets to the root of the issue rather than being a symptom-treater off Old Vincennes Road near 264.

He may be retired :(. I'll call my grandma today and see what his name is.

What part of Louisville are you in? It's my hometown!

I'm actually in Fort Knox, about 30-40 minutes away. That would be great, I spoke with the vet here, and got the little guy up to date on vaccines. I'm taking him off that Eukanuba crap and I am going to have to do a lot of research on better choices for him.

In regards to the symptom treating; it's the exact same way in hospitals. A doctor sees a patient who is in pain, they prescribe pain killers... WRONG ANSWER! Pain killers MASK the pain, they block the receptors and if it does anything, it only relieves you for a little while! I work in Pain Management here with a doctor that does Acupuncture, so I get to hear here scream and shout about stupid doctors all the time! Haha, seems to be the same way with vets.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts