German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. Zac (14 weeks old) has got a little problem at the moment. He's got the itches. BAD. He'll chew at his rump and start scratching when we pet him. He'll be walking along and just stop dead so he can scratch.

We've checked his entire body for fleas, dermatitis etc. and even thought he might be allergic to what's in his dry food - so we changed from Supacoat (which has changed their usually brilliant formula to one that has chicken and beef by-products. He's now on Innova (which is made from human-grade food).
We've sent him to the grooming salon to be checked over, and they couldn't find anything. His skin was perfect.

But he's still itching like MAD and I'm starting to get worried. Mum thinks it might be a pinched nerve from when he was born - but he wasn't scratching when he was at the breeders - so it has to be something we're doing, or something that's around our home.
Does anyone have any suggestions/tips/diagnoses???

·
Registered
109 Posts
Maybe it's a stress related problem? Sometimes dogs will chew/itch themselves when they feel nervous/anxious or stressed.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
His "adult" coat is starting to come in now, which may cause some itching. Brushing him everyday with a soft brush will help. You also might want to add some oil to his food - salmon oil, fish body oil or even olive oil should help him as well.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
There is always a reason for the itching.

It could be neurological, and if that's a case, then you might want to see a K9 chiropractor.

My dogs will lick their front legs when their neck is out. And they will lick other certain areas, depending on where the nerve is being impinged.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally Posted By: RiptideMaybe it's a stress related problem? Sometimes dogs will chew/itch themselves when they feel nervous/anxious or stressed.
He's always been a happy, confident little boy who has always been comfortable with us. Unless the cat has been giving him some serious beef, then I don't think it's that.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
I have a happy, confident boy too-- and he DOES scratch himself from stress. Seriously-- dogs do this to lessen stress they are feeling. Is he excited to go outside? Is he thrilled that you just woke up in the morning to be with him? Happy, sure-- but there IS stress involved here for the dog, conflicts of behavior and urges, etc. It is more obvious in response to commands or scolding. Less obvious in situations where he is surrounded by guests, kids, etc and trying to handle it all. Scratching is a way dogs use to express stress-- even if we do not imagine that the dog is experiencing stress.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Try fish oil and/ or peanut oil. It helped with our Puppy's itchies. Vet said that when they are growing fast sometimes their skin doesn't get all the fatty acids it needs and gets "dry". We also supplement Vitamin E (breeder recommended) but I'd try the oil first!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I don't think you need to worry about allergies at his age.

Have you considered mites? That would be something the vet would have to do a skin scrape for.

Have you given the dog a good ol' soothing bath?

Do you use flea prevention?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts