German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it's gotten colder, Zeke has gotten increasingly itchy. He does not have fleas. Vet says he is not showing red skin or signs of allergies or mange. We have done skin scrapings. He is currently on Innova LBP and two weeks ago I started adding salmon oil. I am willing to switch his food... do you think I should? What would you recommend? Thank you so much for your recommendations and/or advice.

Gratuitous Zeke in the snow pic...

·
Registered
682 Posts
Keep him on the salmon oil, I had the same problem and the oil helps a lot but it took about 3 to 3 1/2 weeks. IMO, I wouldn't go just changing food if the dog is healthy otherwise as you noted, no bumps or red skin etc. Innova is a good food so give it one more week or two as long as there is no other health issues as I said. This happens to a lot of dogs.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I was wondering if the salmon would take awhile. And yes, he is healthy & happy ... good weight, nice coat, no bald patches etc...

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Zeke is a handsome boy!

·
Registered
27,268 Posts
Along with adding a daily dose of salmon oil(4000mg) you should add 400iu of vitamin e. Salmon oil depletes the natural production of E so you need to supplement it.
I think adding humidity into the home~30% is very beneficial to the dogs skin(ours too!) and helps the house feel warmer.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Along with adding a daily dose of salmon oil(4000mg) you should add 400iu of vitamin e. Salmon oil depletes the natural production of E so you need to supplement it.
I think adding humidity into the home~30% is very beneficial to the dogs skin(ours too!) and helps the house feel warmer.

4000mg? Just a question, where did you get this number from? I'm 275lbs and take 2000mg. Just asking, not doubting your opinion. Thanks Jeff

·
Registered
27,268 Posts
I give 2000mg at each meal, though only 400iu of the E daily.
I do feed raw, though, not kibble. And my dogs are close to 100#. For a maintenance dose 2000 is enough, but if the dog is having itchy skin, I'd give a larger dose for a couple weeks then go w/ maintenance. Dogs with joint problems also benefit with a larger dosage(depending on their weight of course)
I didn't read that Zeke is still quite young til I reread the thread and his birthdate in staceys signature, I would go with 2000mg for a younger dog.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts