German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two German shepherds one is going to be 2 years old on the 27th and the only proteins I've found that doesn't bother her tummy are Boar and Bison (I've been told she would probably tolerate Venison if she's good with Bison)
My 13 week old male Kimber so far is good with chicken so I'm assuming he will be good with any other protein.
My soon to be husband is getting stationed over in Italy this January and I'll be going sometime within 2019. My question is what kind of food options do they have over in Italy? We will likely be on Aviano Air Base s.o. is however Army so we could end up in Vicenza.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Love the new pup's name :) Someone asked this once in one of the raw feeding groups on FB. and they got a lot of good answers that involved raw AND kibble choices. I would try there if you do not get an answer here. There were co ops that were listed, etc. Good luck

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you a bunch I appreciate the compliment on the name and the suggestion.
Haha guess you know it is after the gun manufacturer.

Love the new pup's name /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif Someone asked this once in one of the raw feeding groups on FB. and they got a lot of good answers that involved raw AND kibble choices. I would try there if you do not get an answer here. There were co ops that were listed, etc. Good luck
I appreciate the compliment Haha

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
Most Farmina foods are based on chicken or lamb. They have one food that's venison-based:
https://www.farmina.com/us/dog-food/n&d-quinoa-functional-canine/442-skin-&-coat-venison.html

However, there are no bison/beef options from them.

You might have to look at an RX allergy food made from hydrolyzed protein. It's processed so that the protein molecules in it don't trigger food allergies. Royal Canin makes one that should be easy to get in Europe (Royal Canine Hypoallergenic) but it costs about US$50 for a very small bag, so you may find home cooking or raw is not more expensive than feeding that, and you'll likely bet far better ingredients into the dog.

Many dogs that can handle Bison can also handle Beef, which would be a lot easier/cheaper to get in Europe than Bison. Boar is available in Europe to some extent, but it's not supposed to be eaten -- at least in Northern and Central Europe, it's still contaminated with radiation from Chernobyl's fallout after all these years. Apparently, they're eating forest mushrooms and such that are still sucking up the radiation in the soil. I would be VERY cautious about sourcing boar in Europe for that reason -- or using dog food with boar!

Since you've tried a massive amount of proteins in KIBBLE, I think you might want to consider whether KIBBLE is actually the problem, not all those different proteins. I have an allergy dog who can eat raw beef just fine -- along with many vegetables, including sweet potatoes. But if he eats a limited ingredient kibble with beef and sweet potatoes, he's back to having bloody diarrhea. We figured out during our year of food misery that it was something in kibble that was the difference -- we don't know if it's a binder, a product of high heat processing, or something else, but he's not the only dog I know that has the issue. The owner of a local natural pet supply store has a Great Dane with the same issue -- she has access to ANY kibble under the sun, but after lots of trial and error, she had to put him on a natural diet to save his life.

We transitioned to raw using a base mix (the Honest Kitchen's Preference) which was absolutely FANTASTIC at soothing his GI system. When you add meat to it, it creates a complete, balanced meal. (It has more peas than I'd like, so I'd consider supplementing with taurine until the FDA figures out what's going on with that ingredient.) Adding 6-hour bovine colostrum (a human supplement available at health stores or online) and a probiotic would also be a good idea for a dog with an angry GI system from food allergies.

Another beef option to try would be Ziwi Peak's dehydrated food, out of New Zealand. It's expensive, but it's convenient, high quality, and minimally processed.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think it is a kibble issue because she does fine on those proteins on ANY brand.
I guess it could be but I doubt it seeing as she has perfect poops as long as it is red meat I guess. Doesn't do as good on Lamb, but I'm not sure I've tried a limited ingredient beef yet, so that'll be something to look into when I get over there.

Most Farmina foods are based on chicken or lamb. They have one food that's venison-based:
https://www.farmina.com/us/dog-food/n&d-quinoa-functional-canine/442-skin-&-coat-venison.html

However, there are no bison/beef options from them.

You might have to look at an RX allergy food made from hydrolyzed protein. It's processed so that the protein molecules in it don't trigger food allergies. Royal Canin makes one that should be easy to get in Europe (Royal Canine Hypoallergenic) but it costs about US$50 for a very small bag, so you may find home cooking or raw is not more expensive than feeding that, and you'll likely bet far better ingredients into the dog.

Many dogs that can handle Bison can also handle Beef, which would be a lot easier/cheaper to get in Europe than Bison. Boar is available in Europe to some extent, but it's not supposed to be eaten -- at least in Northern and Central Europe, it's still contaminated with radiation from Chernobyl's fallout after all these years. Apparently, they're eating forest mushrooms and such that are still sucking up the radiation in the soil. I would be VERY cautious about sourcing boar in Europe for that reason -- or using dog food with boar!

Since you've tried a massive amount of proteins in KIBBLE, I think you might want to consider whether KIBBLE is actually the problem, not all those different proteins. I have an allergy dog who can eat raw beef just fine -- along with many vegetables, including sweet potatoes. But if he eats a limited ingredient kibble with beef and sweet potatoes, he's back to having bloody diarrhea. We figured out during our year of food misery that it was something in kibble that was the difference -- we don't know if it's a binder, a product of high heat processing, or something else, but he's not the only dog I know that has the issue. The owner of a local natural pet supply store has a Great Dane with the same issue -- she has access to ANY kibble under the sun, but after lots of trial and error, she had to put him on a natural diet to save his life.

We transitioned to raw using a base mix (the Honest Kitchen's Preference) which was absolutely FANTASTIC at soothing his GI system. When you add meat to it, it creates a complete, balanced meal. (It has more peas than I'd like, so I'd consider supplementing with taurine until the FDA figures out what's going on with that ingredient.) Adding 6-hour bovine colostrum (a human supplement available at health stores or online) and a probiotic would also be a good idea for a dog with an angry GI system from food allergies.

Another beef option to try would be Ziwi Peak's dehydrated food, out of New Zealand. It's expensive, but it's convenient, high quality, and minimally processed.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
I have been feeding Zignature for a couple of months now. Lots of choices of proteins ... I hope you can find it.....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Italy

OH you’re SO LUCKY:surprise:!! I want to go back to Italy. You willlove it and make sure you travel thru Europe while there-it’s easy. Make sure your dog is micro chipped, pictures and license; there are ALOT of strays-(ALOT) there. I met a German shepherd there (a full blooded stray) who stayed with us at the port(Navy) but we couldn’t take her with us on the ship so we contacted the local PD to help find her a home (we were told one of the police officers stationed at the port took her in). She did get to go with me to Capri and back though on the shuttle boat-yep they allowed dogs then (1980s). Military bases might be able to order if they don’t have your food but don’t be afraid to check the Italian brands, just check the ingredients for a match. HAVE FUN

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She is already microchipped and the whole 9 yards, but I do have to get him done.
From the reading I've done I can see that most European countries are really dog savvy and I'm super excited. Really stressed about everything, but super excited lol.
I'll just be glad once we are other there and I won't be pulling my hair out anymore.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By license what do you mean?

OH you’re SO LUCKY/forum/images/Germanshepherds_2016/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png!! I want to go back to Italy. You willlove it and make sure you travel thru Europe while there-it’s easy. Make sure your dog is micro chipped, pictures and license; there are ALOT of strays-(ALOT) there. I met a German shepherd there (a full blooded stray) who stayed with us at the port(Navy) but we couldn’t take her with us on the ship so we contacted the local PD to help find her a home (we were told one of the police officers stationed at the port took her in). She did get to go with me to Capri and back though on the shuttle boat-yep they allowed dogs then (1980s). Military bases might be able to order if they don’t have your food but don’t be afraid to check the Italian brands, just check the ingredients for a match. HAVE FUN

·
Registered
160 Posts
Farmina is an Italian based company with quality foods and they have a boar formula. Please stay away from Zignature despite it being recommended by a couple of people here. Multiple dogs have developed DCM while on that food and it is mostly a pea and legume based food. Its done a good job marketing but I would stay away.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's kinda pathetic of Zignature especially considering how expensive it is.

Farmina is an Italian based company with quality foods and they have a boar formula. Please stay away from Zignature despite it being recommended by a couple of people here. Multiple dogs have developed DCM while on that food and it is mostly a pea and legume based food. Its done a good job marketing but I would stay away.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I agree its pathetic, however, it is our responsibility as owners to not believe all of the fancy exotic protein marketing and be able to evaluate the ingredients and percentages. Now people have dead dogs because they ate Zignature for too long.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Please stay away from Zignature despite it being recommended by a couple of people here. Multiple dogs have developed DCM while on that food and it is mostly a pea and legume based food. Its done a good job marketing but I would stay away.

IS THIS FOR REAL.... I worked REAL hard @ a LID kibble and now I need to change again..

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
Farmina is an Italian based company with quality foods and they have a boar formula.

Mmags, please see my post regarding the dangerous radiation levels found in European boar. Sourcing of European boar is still very, very dangerous due to Chernobyl fall out -- I wouldn't feed a bag of that without running a Geiger counter over it. I'm not joking.

Even if they say the boar is from Southern Europe, the chance that they use pet food to dispose of Northern European animals is real -- you have to trust a company A LOT when the risk of bad protein sources is radioactive ingredients!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Please stay away from Zignature despite it being recommended by a couple of people here. Multiple dogs have developed DCM while on that food and it is mostly a pea and legume based food. Its done a good job marketing but I would stay away.

IS THIS FOR REAL.... I worked REAL hard @ a LID kibble and now I need to change again..
It is very real. Personally, I would change now if you're feeding Zignature.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts