German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today has been very interesting and eventful...The most eventful thing that happened today was when I walked outside only to see a water moccasin by the front porch, and he was happy! He was happy to be sitting there, staring at us...I think he knew he was creeping us out. My dad said kill it and the snake knew, he knew he was about to be a goner and he slithered away under the porch. So then I had to call my friend to bring me the snake tongs and the machete, and guess what? We can't find him anywhere! He is still around the house though, this we know...People looking in the back and people looking in the front. Did I mention how healthy he is? He is very healthy! He needs to go die!!

I am terrified to take my dogs' outside to work them...I'm not scared of snakes, but this one is venomous and can't be seen easily...What if my puppies find him first??? Blehhh!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Snakes like to hide under anything that can provide cover and food such mice or rats in a wood pile or rocks. Also, don't try to kill it yourself, call animal control or someone who knows how to handle poisonous snakes, because the chance of recieving a bite is higher for yourself and anyone else in the vicinity of the snake.
I agree the snake needs to leave though. I'm really creeped out by snakes and due to this, I am scarred of them. I hope the snake has either left or it is found and disposed of by properly trained people. I hope you, your family and your dogs will all be safe. Water moccassins can be aggressive.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I know how you feel!!! Please be very careful. Sharp shovels. Machete doesn't have enough distance for me.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Snakes like to hide under anything that can provide cover and food such mice or rats in a wood pile or rocks. Also, don't try to kill it yourself, call animal control or someone who knows how to handle poisonous snakes, because the chance of recieving a bite is higher for yourself and anyone else in the vicinity of the snake.
I agree the snake needs to leave though. I'm really creeped out by snakes and due to this, I am scarred of them. I hope the snake has either left or it is found and disposed of by properly trained people. I hope you, your family and your dogs will all be safe. Water moccassins can be aggressive.
I am kind of trained to handle these snakes, because my friend IS animal control. She taught me some things on how to catch it, and then kill it with the machete. We had to put what she taught me in training last year, with the breeding pair of yellow bellied water snakes. I again don't mind snakes, but fear for my family and little brothers, as well as my animals more than I am of myself. I'll take a bite from any snake for them, to keep them safe from harm (the snake). Also animal control doesn't come and take care of it unless it's inside the house, but my friend just brought me the tongs and machete to use since it's her personal ones. Trust me, I know these snakes are pact full of attitude. I live in Louisiana where we deal with all kinds of them on a daily bases.

I know how you feel!!! Please be very careful. Sharp shovels. Machete doesn't have enough distance for me.
We used the machete once on a breeding pair of yellow bellied water snakes, which are non-venomous. I prefer them over this venomous snake that is pact full of attitude, and probably still enjoying his happy hour on the frogs, lizards, bugs, and other small animals (rats and mice). Bad snake, very bad snake.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I absolutely love snakes and hate the idea of people killing them, but it is very understandable when one is around the house and you have pups to think of. :(

I hope you're babies don't run into it.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
OOH! I hope you get him! I posted my water moccasin thread just last week after we found one on my front porch, curled up under the DOG bed. Needless to say, I'm going shopping for a Kuranda for the porch next time.

I've had to take a GSD in for antivenin before, years ago. $1250 at the ER vet late on a Sat night. Not pretty. And yes, those cottonmouths can be aggressive.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I absolutely love snakes and hate the idea of people killing them, but it is very understandable when one is around the house and you have pups to think of. :(

I hope you're babies don't run into it.
I don't mind snakes at all, I think they are absolutely beautiful. I just do mind a water moccasin hanging around the house, especially where we are walking/playing 24/7.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OOH! I hope you get him! I posted my water moccasin thread just last week after we found one on my front porch, curled up under the DOG bed. Needless to say, I'm going shopping for a Kuranda for the porch next time.

I've had to take a GSD in for antivenin before, years ago. $1250 at the ER vet late on a Sat night. Not pretty. And yes, those cottonmouths can be aggressive.
We still can't find him...Either I go buy a rat and taunt him out some how, or somebody goes under the house...

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Venomoussnaaaaake? :eek:

If I were the type of lady who screamed like a girl, I would.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Yikes! IDK about going under the house.

It is a bummer you can't just let him go, though...I would have let mine go, but the neighbors pointed out that they wouldn't appreciate seeing it show up at their house the following day. That made sense to me, and I was concerned about the neighborhood children and my dogs finding him as well, so I'm now on the "kill venomous snakes" bandwagon.

I did go around and make sure there weren't any other places on my property that would be attractive to snakes. I have one butterfly bush I can't bear to destroy, so we avoid that corner now.

Oh, and then yesterday my next door neighbor watched a turtle lay eggs and cover them with dirt in her yard...and the back neighbor shared with us that the snakes will come up in the yard to eat the eggs, and she should have shooed the turtle off!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

It is a bummer you can't just let him go, though...I would have let mine go, but the neighbors pointed out that they wouldn't appreciate seeing it show up at their house the following day. That made sense to me, and I was concerned about the neighborhood children and my dogs finding him as well, so I'm now on the "kill venomous snakes" bandwagon.

I did go around and make sure there weren't any other places on my property that would be attractive to snakes. I have one butterfly bush I can't bear to destroy, so we avoid that corner now.

Oh, and then yesterday my next door neighbor watched a turtle lay eggs and cover them with dirt in her yard...and the back neighbor shared with us that the snakes will come up in the yard to eat the eggs, and she should have shooed the turtle off!

I am in a neighborhood where children walk their puppies/dogs and play with one another in each others yards. I would let him go other wise, but with an elderly lady next door (who lives alone) who likes being outside, children, people in general, and their animals is too much of a risk to keep around...We don't mind the king snakes and garden snakes, ribbon snakes, just non-venomous in general...Just venomous snakes have got to go.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Absolutely. Just too risky. I hope you find it soon!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Absolutely. Just too risky. I hope you find it soon!

Me too, we still haven't found him.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Leave Moccasin Alone

I've had to deal with many as my family has a ranch with a large artificial lake near a stream.

Frankly, they are aggressive. They don't hesitate to turn on you just when you think you've got them on the run and they can really move. If one in within 10 yard it can be on you before you can react.

I'd never go under a house in search of one. That'd be like testing fate.

If you have one now you've had them before. If the dogs weren't harmed then they're unlikely to be now.

Just keep a sharp eye out and shoot them with a .22 when you see one.

IMHO they're most dangerous in the Fall when they come out on land regularly to sun and get warm before hunting. They are quite literally the snake in the grass at those times and are extremely aggressive.

LF

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've had to deal with many as my family has a ranch with a large artificial lake near a stream.

Frankly, they are aggressive. They don't hesitate to turn on you just when you think you've got them on the run and they can really move. If one in within 10 yard it can be on you before you can react.

I'd never go under a house in search of one. That'd be like testing fate.

If you have one now you've had them before. If the dogs weren't harmed then they're unlikely to be now.

Just keep a sharp eye out and shoot them with a .22 when you see one.

IMHO they're most dangerous in the Fall when they come out on land regularly to sun and get warm before hunting. They are quite literally the snake in the grass at those times and are extremely aggressive.

LF
We can't shoot in the city...=/

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Bad snake. Very bad snake. Very glad I live on 2nd floor & snakes can't climb stairs. I can't sit with my feet touching the ground right now.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I'm in the Air Force and think like you...distance is best!!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm sorry to inform you of this, Cheyanna, but I've seen a snake climb stairs. Granted the steps of the stairs were blocks of concrete stacked in the shape of stairs.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts