German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He's started digging in the water dishes, picking them up, spilling them, and running around with them in his mouth!!! I have bath towels in every room there is a dish! Constant water clean up! lol I don't yell at him because its hilarious and he grunts while he's doing it. Is this a GSD thing? None of my other dogs have ever done this...

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
and I can just see the tail carried high in pride!

Yep, I've seem my guys do this as pups.

Why, LOL, because they CAN!

Enjoy, the puppy stage is all to short.

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
I can picture it as well! Get a 2 or 4 qt. stainless steel bucket (Tractor Supply) for water, they don't wan't to pick this up as it is taller. You will still get the trails of water(I do, as Onyx can't just drink but has to move on to the next activity) but not a huge mess...

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
It's a hallmark GSD thing to do. But my beagle pup picks up her water bowl and carries it into her crate (spilling water across the carpet, and dousing her bedding as well. I love doing laundry!
)

Then again, I'm pretty sure she THINKS she's a large, strong, vibrant GSD. At least, that's how she acts when she wrestles her big brother.

So yeah, only GSDs do it.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I had a gallon water bowl for Massie. Chama came home at 5 weeks old and thought it was a swimming pool! She would get right in there and play around, happy as a clam!

Rafi is so messy with the water that I have to keep the bowl in the back of the kitchen so that by the time he gets to the wood floor he's done dripping.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yes it is a GSD thing....We have been dealing with this since day 1 of the GSD's...you'd think they would get tired of being told "no, put that down, or get your paw out of that water!" But nope, they still do it EVERY single day seveeral times a day.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL .. All I catch myself saying is "Get those paws out of the dish!", "No, put that down!".. It feels like a lake when he's through. He has a non-skid dish at home but we've been at the in laws for a week house sitting and they don't have any so its crazy here right now!

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
it has begun...and when does it end

Allie is 2 and will still use the water bowl as a personal wading pool, luckily most of the time she only does it outside.

Kelso just drips a gallon of water from his jowls

Thankfully they dont pick up the dish anymore!

Keep the towels coming!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot that one, they also try to lay ontop of the bowl as though they are trying to go for a nice swim...But put them in a bath, and gosh the whole world has come to an end, and they are melting....got to love those GSD's though!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are cheap anti-flip bowls you can get at petsmart. They work pretty well. Basically the puppies weight will prevent them from lifting the bowl. Water is ok but I hate dog food all over my place.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i don't know if it's a GSD thing or any dog thing. my boy did it. he also would drop his ball in the water dish. sometimes he would do it immediately after i cleaned it up and refilled his bowl. when he did that i would pick the bowl up. i didn't do much to correct this either. i would say "don't do that" or "don't knck your water bowl over". it was hard for me to seriously correct him because i found it to be funny also. i still keep a couple of dish towels on the floor to clean up the trails of water. i taught my last Shep to lick his mouth while he was over the bowl. i use to have soda lined up beside the refrigerator. everyday i had to pick up the bottles. one day i had just picked them up and my boy went into the kitchen and looked at the bottles standing up. he then took his nose and paw and knocked each one of them over and walked out of the kitchen. i didn't correct him for this either. i just moved the soda.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Otto has attacked his water bowl from day one. He flips and tips, barking like a nut. So I got out the anti-tip bowl from when Morgan was a pup. He puts his feet in it, spins around biting it, growls at it but it won't tip!

Yesterday, we had to put the puppy proof 4 ft fence around the garden too. Also from when Morgan was a puppy, she wouldn't stay out of the garden either!

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
It never ends I swear when Brady drinks I wonder how much he is actually drinking cause it seems like it is all on the floor.

I loved it when Brady was a pup and he would step in the bowl to drink and when he was done the bowl was tipped over getting out

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello Dawn,,,my little guy is 8 weeks old,,GSD....he sat in his water bowl the other day...don't have any idea how he managed to do it . His little butt was soaked...he took off down through the kitchen with a water fall in tow. Think perhaps he was trying to help me mop the floor???? The alsways good for a laugh no matter how bad our day has been. Enjoy !!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
OMG, these are cute stories! Thank god I have tile floors so when I get my GSD I will jst have to worry about the towel clean up not so much the soaked carpets, etc!

·
Registered
14 Posts
LOL, I've been fighting this battle myself. My first water bowl, was just a plain ol' stainless one. Teyla, tipped it over every single time she was done drinking....soooo I went out and got an anti-tip bowl. She simply figured out another way to empty it onto the floor. First by chewing off the rubber anti skid thing, and then by shooting the bowl around the floor and into the walls like a hockey puck until it was empty. LOL! So now I've gone out and got the biggest heaviest ceramic pet bowl I could find....so far so good. Although she still puts her feet in and tries to dig, she hasn't been able to tip it or slide it around...yet. She's still only 13 weeks old.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts