German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my girl from her walk straight to the back yard to play. She jumped up by the fence when she saw the neighbor's dog. Her slip chain caught on the fence. Normally she doesn't have it on, but I just hadn't taken it off from our walk. Thank God I was standing next to her and got her down immediately.

Please don't leave collars on your dog unless it is a breakaway collar!

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
I am glad you were right there and your dog was ok. Mine run naked at home, but every once is a while I forget to take it off when we get back home. I always feel like a dodged a bullet when I see it still on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not so much that it's still on as he's not hanging by the fence. Almost gave me nightmares. I honestly don't know how I lifted her 64 pounds straight up starting at 5 ft off the ground. I have always been aware of the danger (that why I bought a breakaway collar), but have not been vigilant about taking it off. She is in training and it gives me something to grab if I need to do a quick correction. Never, ever again will I be lackadaisical about that slip chain.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Glad she's OK and you were there, however Deuce always wears a collar with his proper tags on it. It's against county regulations here for a dog not to wear his/her Rabies tag. We don't have a fence so that issue isn't an immediate danger in our yard.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Glad she's OK and you were there, however Deuce always wears a collar with his proper tags on it. It's against county regulations here for a dog not to wear his/her Rabies tag. We don't have a fence so that issue isn't an immediate danger in our yard.
lol, I think this is a law EVERYWHERE. My dogs aren't even registered with the county... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
I doubt that the law applies to dogs that are on their own property, either way I wouldn't care...my dogs never wear collars at home. I nearly lost my little girl when she was young and Shilohs leg got caught in her collar. They rolled accoss the room, all the while the collar just got tighter and tighter. She was unconscious when I was finally able to get that collar off. Immediately I began cpr and she came to and was rushed to the Vet. Needless to say, I never allow collars on my dogs unless we are out. If anyone wants to see their tags, their collars are hung right by the door.

By the way, I'm glad your little one is ok.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I keep a collar on my Shepherd/Husky because he climbs the fence. He's never gotten caught, but I just switched to the breakaway kind. Since he won't stay in the fence, I need him to have ID on him. The whole neighborhood knows him and loves him, but I worry about strangers coming through. He looks like a wolf and those that don't know him are very apprehensive at first. He is 14 and has heart disease. Amazing he can still climb at all.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
A copy of my dogs' rabies certs are in my car. My dogs licenses are on a tie wrap on my car key chain -- always with me, not on the dog.

Odessa is tattood, everyone else is chipped except the yearlings, and after yesterday's class, I am praying some idiot comes along and steals one or both of them -- just kidding. I will get them chipped when I do hips and elbows.

It is not currently the law that dogs have to wear their rabies tag. Nor is it the law that dogs must wear a license if on their own property. New legislation they keep trying to pass says that dogs must at all times, blah, blah, blah. What this means is that you will have to have a collar and license tag on the dog while it is crated in your house. Personally, I find that a terrible law. If it passes, I might just have to practice civil disobedience -- kind of like putting the license tags on my key chain this year. They are pointy and the holes are too small for a key chain, so I am not putting them on my girls' collars.

I complained and so did others, so hopefully, next year's design will be boring and practical.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
My dogs do not wear collars except when we are off property...
Karlo's are removed when he is crated in the van during training. I am uber scared of a collar getting caught and the dog panicking. He's tattoo'd and chipped, my other dogs are chipped. If they were somehow strayed I don't think a collar with their tags would bring them home safely to me anyway. They aren't real stranger friendly(other than Karlo) and wouldn't willingly go up to a stranger unless it was in an aggressive manner. In MI they have to have tags on off property, on your own land, they can be naked.

·
Banned
3,612 Posts
Learned my lesson about this one early... Bailey's tag got caught sideways in the crate bars and he apparently pulled and the little ring stretched and he was stuck. I came home at lunch to find him with about a one to two inch movement in the crate. SCARY.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it's more amazing that you allow your
dog to get out. why don't you fix/do something
to the fence so he can't climb out????
Short of prison barbed wire, my shepherd/husky can get out of anything!!! Which is probably how I ended up with him at 7 mo. of age anyway. My neighborhood is small with one entrance/exit. I live in the back portion and he never wanders too far. Funny thing is, if I let him out the front door, he'll climb the fence and go to the back door and visa versa. It's a game. He does it cause he can.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts