German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a questions......first off allow me to apologize for using another's thread to ask my question for I am unable to figure out how to start one from my pone. Second, please don't go off on me about spay/neuter. Yes my GSD is pregnant. It was an accident. My friend took the dogs out while I was taking care of my horse and didn't lock the male's crate properly and he got out.
Asied frome puppies being on the way, her is my delima sp?. My male is a hybrid. He is timber wolf/ german shepherd. My female is very submissive to him. He is crated when they eat because they are on different feed. He will yip while in his crate and she will walk away from her food. My concern is that my female will try to stop having her puppies if he does his yipping. I thought about asking the vet for a sedative for him but I don't know how long she will be in labor. I sure don't want to over sedate him. I really don't have anyone that can take him for this big event. I also wonder if I did find someone to take him, how would he react to puppies when he comes home? Any suggestions, besides spay/neuter/abortion?
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I'll pm a mod to have your question put in it's own topic

·
Registered
19 Posts
this may be too obvious of a solution, but why not just crate him elsewhere when she starts to show signs of labor - or keep him outside. You say you have a horse? / horses? do they have a barn or lean to you could put him in... just my thinking... Dixie was in labor for almost 18 hrs and i just put her in the laundry room where the door shuts - the others weren't even aware she was in labor...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My shepherd can't go any where in the house without him freaking out. It has come to the point that I can't sleep upstairs in my bed because my shepherd goes with me. He will yip, whine and bark until one of us goes back down stairs.
I have a two stall barn. Once I had to lock the wolf in one of the stalls because he had gotten loose and rolled in a rotted carcus. The next day he scaled the 8 foot wall divoding the stalls and luckily came to the front door. I can't leave him where my horses are because there are thoroughbreds tjere that aren't used to dogs, let alone a wolf.
I don't think he would do good at all at a kennel either. My only other option is to ask the vet for a sedative.
Thank you for replying. Also, thank you to the Mod for giving me my own thread.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Move your male's crate to a new location and either get used to the yipping for a few days until he calms down or get a bark deterrent if you can't handle it. If he is causing damage to himself in his crate, talk to your vet and ace him for the first night to take the edge off.

The dam's health and comfort is currently paramount. Get her into a safe, comfortable location with her whelping area/box/pool and keep her stress down. She won't 'suck the pups back in', but it can cause complications if she's stressed.

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
I wouldn't use ace, I'd ask for a calming med and do it before she whelps so you can see how he reacts to it. Xanax or valium (though Xanax needs to be given regularly, not just a one time thing for better effectiveness(according to my vet)
Ace is a drug that can cause agitation, not relaxation.
I think valium would be the best way to go, but consult your vet or a behaviorist to see which med would be easiest on the dog. I am not a fan of Ace, it doesn't slow the mind, just makes the body groggy/which is frustrating to the animal.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I wouldn't use ace, I'd ask for a calming med and do it before she whelps so you can see how he reacts to it. Xanax or valium (though Xanax needs to be given regularly, not just a one time thing for better effectiveness(according to my vet)
Ace is a drug that can cause agitation, not relaxation.
I think valium would be the best way to go, but consult your vet or a behaviorist to see which med would be easiest on the dog. I am not a fan of Ace, it doesn't slow the mind, just makes the body groggy/which is frustrating to the animal.
Very true, but ultimately I don't think that medicating is the answer in either case. Management is the answer. Although this wasn't an intentional happenstance on your part it's still your responsibility now. Yipping and howling is something you'll either have to get used to or manage.

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
I think during the whelp if the male is out of control it would be ok to medicate with a relaxant, but not ace. Even rescue remedy would be better than nothing(or ace) Not like this can be trained out before the delivery. And as you posted ' The dam's health and comfort is currently paramount'

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I would board the male at a place like the vet. They have secure kennels and many dogs go through SA during boarding. Get him out of the picture but in a secure place.

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
Would your vet board your wolfdog, paintmefree?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would crate him elsewhere in your house or barn and start doing so before your female is due. Start slowly for small periods of time...let him yip if he yips, he will acclimate, adjust and it will become part of his routine. I would not sedate him. Maybe you could try a thunder shirt?
Your female will need to be in a safe, enclosed area away from him not only when she is in labor but also after she has her puppies. Whelping is stressful enough for everyone, absolutely no need for him to be anywhere near to make the situation worse. When she has young puppies, his presence will also likely stress her out and could result in her acting defensively, also there is no way to know how he will act around young puppies. When is she due?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
This sounds like a mess.....is there a reason you haven't tried kenneling before, in a crate, in your own place. barn, garage, or laundry room?? On a side note, why don't you neuter the male? Sounds like you can't manage to keep him contained, wouldn't be surprised if another accident occurred....And neutering will help with all the yipping and unplanned pregnancies....Anywho....I know some are going to say my post is harsh....but the answer seems* so simple....neuter and crate.....it's a wolf hybrid, un-neutered, un-trained, and un-managed....come on now.....:cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts