German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup unfortunately is quite bright and doesn't miss a trick. She worked out how to open her coopets zipped dog crate in no time at all. When she is being nippy at us we isolate her in the hall behind a baby gate.

She has now cottened on that when she bites our trousers and we go down to grab either her body or her collar, she jumps and runs away and then comes back for another nip whilst making grunting noises. She obviously thinks this is a game too until shes behind the crate and whimpers. I don't make a sound when I'm getting her in.

Is this okay to continue or should I change anything?

·
Registered
492 Posts
The dog is just playing. Its up to you to teach her that it as unacceptable game. Rather than chasing the dog and locking her up, try leaving the room for a few minutes. Close the door and remove the focus and the fun aspect of her game=you or other individuals involved. This has to be repeated a few times as all training, but most dogs stop behavior that removes their reward, which in this case is you chasing her LOL.

·
Registered
512 Posts
If you have the dog drag a simple cotton line, with no handle on the end, you won't have to endure that behavior to gain control of the dog.

Obviously, if the dog is dragging a line you need to be supervising 100% of the time to prevent any sort of entanglement- but it allows you to keep control of the situation without indulging your clever pup's improvised games.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shes become quite naughty these last two/three days again, but its the trouser pulling thats started again - shes 13 and a half weeks old; is this because shes teething now? We had just one or two weeks of a better behaved pup and now she's turned downhill again!

Feels like the whole time we have with her is putting her in isolation because shes trouser pulled. She realy isnt interested in anything else or hasn't picked up that its wrong.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
The dog is just playing. Its up to you to teach her that it as unacceptable game. Rather than chasing the dog and locking her up, try leaving the room for a few minutes. Close the door and remove the focus and the fun aspect of her game=you or other individuals involved. This has to be repeated a few times as all training, but most dogs stop behavior that removes their reward, which in this case is you chasing her LOL.
Agreed.
It can be frustrating but don't take it personally.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts