German Shepherds Forum banner

Multiple Choice! Is Your GSD Good With Other Dogs Both Inside His Pack and Outside?

• My GSD is NOT good with other dogs outside of his pack

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • My GSD is good with other dogs outside of his pack

Votes: 56 72.7%
  • My GSD is NOT good with the dogs in his pack

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • My GSD is good with the dogs in his pack

Votes: 35 45.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is your GSD good with other dogs both in your pack and outside of your pack?

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
It depends:) Masi is fine with her doggie friends and dogs in her pack,,she likes small dogs OUTSIDE her pack, is neutral to others unless they get in her face and then all bets are off:)..so not sure how to vote:)

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Molly loves meeting other dogs, although they sometimes get intimidated by her. Here's a couple photos of a recent event:

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Delgado is great with all dogs in his pack, which includes dogs which belong to family and friends and even my parents fosters. He knows which ones to submit to and which ones he can play rough with.

Outside his pack, it depends on the dog. Just walking down the street on leash he's still learning to ignore them 100% and on playdates he can play with most dogs and will adjust his play but he prefers the more rough and tumble/chase me type of games.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Dakoda is good with SOME other dogs outside of her pack. It's been a life-long struggle with her, and right now she generally just tolerates strange dogs. With other females she can be VERY nasty.
Nashoba and Acheron LOVE other dogs, pack or not. They do prefer to stick to their pack, and ignore/move away from dogs who are rude, though.

Our pack is a nice size, though. Acheron, Dakoda, Nashoba, Sir Nicholas, Klause, Schatzi, Bella, Leo, Thor and White-Cloud. Lol!

·
Registered
9,543 Posts
Hans loves dogs, any shape and size.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Titan doesn't like nor dislike other dogs. If they come in our yard he will alert me but that's about it.. haven't tested to see what he would do. When we are out and about and we meet other dogs he sniffs and is done.. really just wants mama time. :) I like it that way. When we go to the dog park, same way, he will always want to sniff every dog then play with mom. He rarely plays with other dogs the way most dogs play.. and other dogs can't play fetch with him. lol.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
So far so good, although he's not even 2 yet so things may change. Only 1 of my previous GSDs has been good with unfamiliar dogs, but the other 2 weren't. They've all been good with those inside their pack though.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Before Ollie turned 1 a couple months ago he was always fantastic with dogs in and outside of the pack, he especially loves little dogs. Now that he's 14 months (and still intact) he's starting to change a bit, becoming more dominant, less tolerant of dogs approaching me, and more protective of his pack. We know longer do off leash around other dogs. Now on leash is a whole other matter as we've been dealing with leash reactivity towards dogs since he was 6 months old.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sinister is 4.5 years old.

He gets along great with other dogs outside of his pack and he has several dog friends including a 11 month old male Doberman, a 2.5 year old male Doberman, a 3 year old female Doberman and until recently a 14.5 year old female GSD/Husky mix.

He is also great with his pack which temporarily includes a female ACD mix, a female Min Pin and a male Dalmatian.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I didnt vote, because although Dexter is good with both big and little dogs, hes only 9 months. Im sure this may change as he gets older. Im hoping it doesnt.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I didnt vote, because although Dexter is good with both big and little dogs, hes only 9 months. Im sure this may change as he gets older. Im hoping it doesnt.
He might have a few changes - maybe 6-12 months of bad adolescent behavior and then a change for the better closer to 3 years old.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wylie is good with dogs in his pack and outside, but he is only 6 months and still very much a puppy. (He likes everybody.)

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wait... what's the difference between option 1 and option 4?

It's multiple choice.

Some dogs might be good with the dogs in their pack but they are not good with other people's dogs that are not in their pack.

Some dogs don't get along with their pack.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Kimber is still to young to really tell but so far she is doing great with other dogs. her and the neighbors dog chase each other up and down are fence line all day and haven't heard a growl from rather of them yet

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Yep, Fwaddums is good with everyone. :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts