German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this works, I've never done a poll before.

I noticed a lot of people mentioning their dogs are afraid of men. I've read that shy/fearful dogs tend to stick with one gender or the other, but usually prefer women and dislike men.

Brenna definitely dislikes men, though she dislikes a lot of women too. lol Mostly she prefers me and a select few other women (mostly coworkers) who she's learned are OK to be comfortable around.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Morgan doesn't like men either. I think it's a voice thing becuase we have some young men neighbors that she liked until their voice changed.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Rocky doesn't have an issue between men and women. I don't know why but he does have an issue with certain races, and it is only certain people. Not sure what his trigger is on who he does or does not like.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another thing I forgot to add is that I wonder if this is especially common in GSDs. Or it could just be that a fearful personality is more common in GSDs and thus the sexist aspect.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
My Kenya is like Brenna. Her "person" has to be a woman, as it always has. There are some men she is fearful of, but some women too. It's more about how they approach her. I don't think it's a man/woman thing. She LOVES my co-worker, who is a big, tall, loud guy. She doesn't like one of my friends who is short and feminine. LOL, now it sounds like my dog is totally fearful. Actually, she is 99% of the time totally indifferent towards others. On walks, she just goes right past all the other people and dogs. If I stop to say hi to someone, she just stops and stands there. If they call her over, she will go sniff. She doesn't shy away, but she doesn't jump on people either. She just really doesn't care! The men/women she is fearful of are people I can count off on one hand...the approach her and treat her inappropriately and she is a discerning dog that doesn't forget when someone literally rubs her the wrong way.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Ava doesn't have any fear issues with men - she just prefers women, me of course and my mom. My mom is really good with her. She is fine with men but is definitely a mama's girl to say the least!!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
Originally Posted By: DSuddRocky doesn't have an issue between men and women. I don't know why but he does have an issue with certain races, and it is only certain people. Not sure what his trigger is on who he does or does not like.
you know what his trigger is on just like you know what races he likes and doesn't like and those certain people.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Leela loves everyone. We went to one of her favorite places today...the vet! Seriously.....there's so many people to love on her that when we pull up she can't wait to get out of the truck.

G

·
0 Posts
Originally Posted By: BrennasMomAnother thing I forgot to add is that I wonder if this is especially common in GSDs. Or it could just be that a fearful personality is more common in GSDs and thus the sexist aspect.
Having seen literally dozens of GSDs that my father raised and trained and I raised and trained as well as the many other breeds I've trained that this has nothing to do with any particular breed. GSDs are normally far from fearful and any that exhibit pronounced fear are usually considered below the standard. Many will say that such reactions are genetic. We've had more than a few arguments about that here. I will say that that is too often used to explain a dog that has not been properly socialized, trained, or has been traumatized in some way. Most dogs suffering such fearfulness can with training that uses the three "P"s (practice, patience, and persistence) move on to secure and happy lives.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally Posted By: GSDad
Originally Posted By: BrennasMomAnother thing I forgot to add is that I wonder if this is especially common in GSDs. Or it could just be that a fearful personality is more common in GSDs and thus the sexist aspect.
Having seen literally dozens of GSDs that my father raised and trained and I raised and trained as well as the many other breeds I've trained that this has nothing to do with any particular breed. GSDs are normally far from fearful and any that exhibit pronounced fear are usually considered below the standard. Many will say that such reactions are genetic. We've had more than a few arguments about that here. I will say that that is too often used to explain a dog that has not been properly socialized, trained, or has been traumatized in some way. Most dogs suffering such fearfulness can with training that uses the three "P"s (practice, patience, and persistence) move on to secure and happy lives.
I agree that the trait is not ideal and not to standard, but with them being so popular and over bred, there are quite a few with fearful personalities. Whether that has to do with socialization or genetics, I don't know, I don't have enough experience to say one way or the other.

G

·
0 Posts
Originally Posted By: BrennasMom
Originally Posted By: GSDad
I agree that the trait is not ideal and not to standard, but with them being so popular and over bred, there are quite a few with fearful personalities. Whether that has to do with socialization or genetics, I don't know, I don't have enough experience to say one way or the other.
I don't mean to be confrontational, but you do say you "don't have enough experience to say". I've seen this breed for over 40 years. I know what it is and what it isn't. Any dog that is poorly bred will have problems. A backyard breeder is a backyard breeder whether it's GSDs or Coc-a-poos. This is why registration is important and even then why being aware of faults in a dog is important. No responsible breeder will allow faults.

·
Registered
16,424 Posts
My Max prefers men but has no problem with women.

·
Registered
575 Posts
My Malley is definately a mans dog. Whenever she visits my folks for the weekend she hangs around my dad much more than she hangs around my mom. But she has no issues with women whatsoever.

·
Super Moderator
6,392 Posts
i voted for Gia since Tilden seems to not have a preference.

Gia on the other hand is not a sexist, but a "*****" (i kid i kid). she likes women but looooooooooooooves men. i joke often about being glad that she's a dog and not my 15yr old teenage daughter. don't get me wrong, she understands if someone seems threatening, but on a day to day basis with my friends or at the park - if a guy shows her some love and attention... "panties off". wiggling and smiling and whining and everything. drives me nuts!

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
I answered no about the sexist cause Rocky does not have a problem with the sex, however, he does have a race problem. (Not sure why though)

·
Registered
16,424 Posts
That's interesting ... have you been the only owner or was he rescued?

I've known many horses with serious race issues
A few had issues with men.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
We are the only owners. He was supposed to be 8 weeks when we got him but I am thinking from size weight, etc he was probably closer to 12 weeks.

·
Super Moderator
6,392 Posts
Originally Posted By: DSuddI answered no about the sexist cause Rocky does not have a problem with the sex, however, he does have a race problem. (Not sure why though)
have you noticed that it makes a difference if its male/female, tall/short, adult/child, etc?

because Tilden has a "complexion sensitivity". but doesnt help if the person dark skinned combined with tall, heavyset, adult male, wearing a hat and shades. know what i mean?

he isnt aggressive tho, just leery.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts