German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I usually keep Bruno(15 month old male GSD) outside when I am out for work from 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM. He has access to backyard (some shade) and garage with plenty of water. And stays with me inside if I am in home.

But today temperature will go to 100 degree so kept him inside home.

Do you think GSD can tolerate temperature upto 100 degree ? Is this safe for them ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
If there is some shade, he will probably be miserable but safe. There is more of a risk of heat stroke when a dog is being active in high temps. My dog lives in our attached garage with a doggie door and I put a portable air conditioner in that is on the floor with wheels and vents out the window with a flexible plastic pipe. A portable AC that cools about 160 square feet will cost about $250

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hello All,

I usually keep Bruno(15 month old male GSD) outside when I am out for work from 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM. He has access to backyard (some shade) and garage with plenty of water. And stays with me inside if I am in home.

But today temperature will go to 100 degree so kept him inside home.

Do you think GSD can tolerate temperature upto 100 degree ? Is this safe for them ?

Thanks.
Of course the dogs would prefer to be inside in the AC but as long as they have shade and lots of water they will be ok outside. Ours will dig holes in the shade and let the ground keep them cool. Invest in a kiddie pool, 1 of those hard bottomed ones. Our male will just stand in it and splash around but our female will fully immerse herself. Also if you have them, you can run your sprinklers for a few mins during the day. We have the sprinklers come on around noon for about 5 mins. Just enough for the dogs to get wet to cool off. I also make large ice cubes, 1/2 unsalted chicken broth and 1/2 water, and give them to them as treats on hot days. I use the silicone molds you would buy for those large cocktail ice cubes. They love them!

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
It doesn't get over 90+ here but close to 100. Regardless, we have very high humidity here. It can get bad and stay like that for days without a break, no clouds and no breeze. I do not have air conditioning in my house. My dogs are indoor / outdoor. Dogs will loose their ability to cool themselves properly if kept too long in too cool of temps, the same goes for people. It might be better for him to just leave him outside if you keep your house cool and he is in for longer periods of time. With that said, my dogs do fine in the heat and humidity, inside or out, tolerating temps into the 90's without even panting as long as they are calm and relaxing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It doesn't get over 90+ here but close to 100. Regardless, we have very high humidity here. It can get bad and stay like that for days without a break, no clouds and no breeze. I do not have air conditioning in my house. My dogs are indoor / outdoor. Dogs will loose their ability to cool themselves properly if kept too long in too cool of temps, the same goes for people. It might be better for him to just leave him outside if you keep your house cool and he is in for longer periods of time. With that said, my dogs do fine in the heat and humidity, inside or out, tolerating temps into the 90's without even panting as long as they are calm and relaxing.
Thanks. Let me buy pool today :). Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
We are down in Florida where it can get very hot and humid. Our dogs are both indoor and out door - mostly indoor. I have to careful how much I exercise our shepherd - he is 3 years old so that he does not get over heated. This is him yesterday @ 7:30 am in the morning after about 20 min session of playing fetch after we did some obedience work. He was ready to go again but I stopped.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,719 Posts
i lived in southern california for a decade with 2 of my shepherds - both acclimated to the heat well and would have done fine with your set up. i also left a baby pool with a bit of water for them.

if you’re in northern california, where the temps are typically much milder and dealing with this sudden heat wave that just sprung up - i’d say you did what was best by having your pup inside since they wouldnt have had the time to gradually acclimate.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i lived in southern california for a decade with 2 of my shepherds - both acclimated to the heat well and would have done fine with your set up. i also left a baby pool with a bit of water for them.

if you’re in northern california, where the temps are typically much milder and dealing with this sudden heat wave that just sprung up - i’d say you did what was best by having your pup inside since they wouldnt have had the time to gradually acclimate.
Yes I am in bay area that why I am concerned. I like the idea of pool may be he can soak in water if it is too hot for him.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
My senior GSD goes outside to lie in the sun when it’s well over 100. But she was born and raised in this climate. My Husky was born and raised in northern CA, where A/C didn’t exist in homes because there was no need for them. So when I moved back to the desert, I was worried he would have major issues acclimating, but he goes outside and play fights with another puppy (not mine, a friends that is staying with us), and he just jumps in our pool to cool down. They have an air conditioned dog house as well, and half the time they prefer that over being inside. The pup I recently purchased came from Washington, and she has issues in the afternoon. After a pee and poo break, she is super hot, and can’t pant, so I have to watch her like a hawk. Her brother (the friends pup) doesn’t seem to be as affected as her, likely because he can pant when he gets hot.

A doggie pool is a must if you keep him outside, it’s the quickest way for them to cool themselves down, and make sure to put it in a spot the is shaded so it doesn’t get too hot to use.

We use one of those big rubber 5 gallon tubs for water, and halfway through the day I flush it with cool water because that gets hot as well. If you can’t flush the hot water out, leaving it under a water valve turned on to a steady small flow will do the same thing.

Don’t use anything black, or metal for food or water, they can burn themselves on it in the summer months.

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
We are down in Florida where it can get very hot and humid. Our dogs are both indoor and out door - mostly indoor. I have to careful how much I exercise our shepherd - he is 3 years old so that he does not get over heated. This is him yesterday @ 7:30 am in the morning after about 20 min session of playing fetch after we did some obedience work. He was ready to go again but I stopped.
In the picture he does look overheated to me. 20 minutes of fetch seems way too long.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Living in coastal Virginia it gets pretty hot and very humid in the summer. Our previous chow/saymoyed mixes did just fine outside for hours in the summer. They were acclimated to it from puppyhood. They always had access to fresh water and shade. Had a dog door to the garage where the concrete floor was cool. We installed a ceiling fan in the garage to keep the air moving.
Our current GSD is not acclimated. Being that I'm no longer working and home we never had the need to put her out alone while we were working. That being the case she is inside more than out. She gets cold in the winter and very hot in the summer so we have to watch for overheating.
I feel the important thing is acclimation. If a dog is used to being in the A/C most of the time high heat (especially if it's humid) would more of an issue even with shade and water.
Kiddie pools, fan if possible, plenty of fresh water and access to shade as mentioned and things should be fine.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Humidity levels have a big impact on weather a pool is a good idea or not. A wet dog will not dry fast in high humidity. The moisture will cause a microclimate around the dog of an even higher humidity level greatly reducing the dog's ability to cool itself.

·
Registered
58 Posts
In the picture he does look overheated to me. 20 minutes of fetch seems way too long.
You are probably right, so I give him breaks even during the 20 min session then we walk back to our house - about half a mile to three quarters of a mile and he carries his ball back in his mouth. In the house I just give him enough water to quench his thirst and cool him down for at least half an hour before giving him any more water and then a little later his breakfast. That works with him. Even with this, he is ready to go.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
We are in Florida too and have noted that we need to do our walks early in the AM and late at night. It is a lot cooler in the shade in the backyard. We are in the process of getting new grass and a fence so that Marco will be spoiled rotten :D

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Today I decided to time Deja because of this thread. This afternoon it was 96 F in the PNW. So I played with her at around 9.00 AM when it was still relatively cool. The air was pretty dry. I had to stop after 5 minutes of fetch, totaling only 3 runs as I add obedience and impulse control. She was panting but not like the OP's dog in the picture. I can only imagine what 20 minutes will do. I think she will go on until she literally drops dead so I have to protect her against her own drive.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Red and us are also located in the humid Florida weather, with the scorching hot temperatures during the day. We have learn to make a significant adjustment to his outside activities, because heath illnesses are a real threat for humans and canines alike. Our changes in his activities, are base on his level of comfort and his respiratory rate when he is having walks or "being a Dog" time; and they are as follows:
- We go for our walks early during the day, and in the early evening (as many others have pointed out).
- Have plenty of water available for your dog, dehydration on top of Heat exhation, can make things much worse, for humans and pets alike.
- There is no midday play time like in the cooler seasons, and if he goes out, is for toiletries and a brief walk around in the back yard.
- If we see him with a machine gun type of panting (very fast respiratory rate), we stop everything immediately, and go inside, no matter how long we have been in the out.
- If during our activity, when I pick up his waste, it feels that its very hot through the plastic; it is time to wrap up his outside time, since this is a reliable indicator of his internal body temperature.

These are, in my estimation, common sense things that can help us avoid heath illnesses in our beloved companions. Remember that their cooling system is not very efficient. They can not talk, and it is up to us to help them out, by identifying when they are starting to cross the line between long walks/play time/ fun; and the dangers of a heat stroke or even worse, death.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts