German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pepper turned 6 months old last weekend....and for the last one week, her behavior has been wonderful. She's not nipping or biting at all...she's walking on her leash really well (except for the excitement of meeting other dogs...but we're working on that). She's no longer aggressive with my 10 year old daughter...who she would keep attacking for the past 2 months. She lets my 5 year old play with her ears, hug her etc. Its like a light switch has switched on in her brain!! Are we done with the worst? Or am I celebrating too soon?:D

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Sounds like you're turned a big corner, but you want to beware of the common 'butthead' phase in a few months, where many dogs get the I don't want to's. But she may have gotten it all out of her system at once. Regardless- enjoy it!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i agree with Stosh. Shasta wasnt a real big PITA when she was younger but she's entered her butthead stage and has been tethered again to keep her out of trouble. She doesnt want to listen or behave and she'll literally look at us like "I dont wanna! Cant make me!" You can almost picture a bratty child sticking their tongue out at you! lol. Just keep up the training and you should be fine. That butthead stage doesnt last forever either!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
The 6-month mark was a good one for Panzer too. 7 months even better and same with 8. We can't believe how quickly his personality is maturing.

I wouldn't mind skipping the butthead stage. :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Butthead stage for us and severel others started around 7-8 months old. then you have the late bloomers who are perfect angels until around 10-11 months old.

·
Registered
100 Posts
So gypsy is twelve months and i though she had gotten sick over thanks giving she settled so fast two weeks ago my wife and i were were chasing her and playing catch all evening just to keep her out of trouble i kind of liked the way she'd look at us out of the corner of her eye drop her head just slighty and grab the tv remote. she just stuck her head in the trash and a quick no stoped her last week i'd be cleaning up paper or coffee grounds. bitter sweet... oh yeah what can we expect now???

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh is a late bloomer in many ways, so he's deep into the bh phase at 10 mos- Uschi on the other hand hit it the day she turned 7 mos. Ever notice how many 7-8 mo old gsds are on craigslist, in shelters, etc?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
you train, train, train and socialize, socailize and socialize many times
during a day and i think you should see results early. it's different for all dogs but the biggest part is what you put into it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts