German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The puppy knows by now that she is not allowed to enter certain rooms and sometimes she keeps pushing her luck and coming in even when we give the command out.

The way I deal with this is to put her in a "sin bin" for a while. This method worked for stopping her biting at heels.

She is 6 months old. I have not been consistent in reinforced the "out". i.e. I do not put her in the "sin bin" everytime.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
put up some babygates, if she really "knew" to stay out of the rooms she would.

She's 6 months old, still pretty much a puppy..

Get some babygates

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Don't expect the dog to understand english yet, as in 'out'. The dog is already in the room so won't piece it together that 'out' for you means leave the room.

What you want to do is not allow the pup in the room in the first place. Choose a line and don't let the pup cross it unless it is invited in. Usually you have to wait there at the entrance and later you can give a simple verbal que to the dog not to enter.

Body language is always stronger than human intention delivered through speaking to the dog. So you wait for the dog to present behaviors before using a verbal command.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Six month old still have very short attention spans. Like 10 - 15 minutes of 'remembering' something. So not reasonable to expect her to remember 24/7 to NOT do something, especially since the consistency from your part is not there. Allowing your pup in the room just once is enough to really confuse her.

You want to set rules that you can enforce each time, otherwise, why even bother? At six months old, manage your dog and set her up for success. Right now she has too many choices, and no clarity. Agree with others - if you want to keep her out of a room sometimes, set up a baby gate. Takes the confusion away, for both of you. :)

·
Super Moderator
32,333 Posts
The puppy knows by now that she is not allowed to enter certain rooms and sometimes she keeps pushing her luck and coming in even when we give the command out.
How do you KNOW that she knows? How exactly did you train this, and how long did you work on it before expecting her to understand that she's not to cross those particular thresholds?

The way I deal with this is to put her in a "sin bin" for a while. This method worked for stopping her biting at heels.

She is 6 months old. I have not been consistent in reinforced the "out". i.e. I do not put her in the "sin bin" everytime.
I don't see how she would associate being put away with coming into a room that she's not supposed to. And unless you are 100% consistent about not ever letting her in certain rooms she will never really learn that she's not supposed to. How could a puppy possibly understand that sometimes it's okay to go into that room and sometimes it's not okay?

If you decide that you want to allow her in sometimes and not other times, the best way to do that is to teach her that she must remain at the threshold until released and invited to enter the room. You would need a solid "wait" or "stay" comman, and a solid release command in order to train this skill, and you and everyone else in the household would have to be 100% consistent about making her wait until released to enter.

put up some babygates, if she really "knew" to stay out of the rooms she would.

She's 6 months old, still pretty much a puppy..

Get some babygates
Ditto. This is the fastest and simplest solution, and it doesn't require months of diligent training and follow through.

Six month old still have very short attention spans. Like 10 - 15 minutes of 'remembering' something. So not reasonable to expect her to remember 24/7 to NOT do something, especially since the consistency from your part is not there. Allowing your pup in the room just once is enough to really confuse her.

You want to set rules that you can enforce each time, otherwise, why even bother? At six months old, manage your dog and set her up for success. Right now she has too many choices, and no clarity. Agree with others - if you want to keep her out of a room sometimes, set up a baby gate. Takes the confusion away, for both of you. :)
:thumbup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you get baby gates, don't bother to get the ones that dont mount to a wall or something. We have one up on the stairs (slides between the ballisters on the railings). Took Zora all of about 1 day to figure out how to slide it out of the way and get by it. Then up she goes to annoy the cat.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
this is the age of following and training is made so easy if you exploit that . Work WITH the dogs state of mind. In the meantime baby gate the sections where dog is not allowed .
We've been able to do it for our cats . They lounge in a cushy chair in the sunroom , hang out in the kitchen , warm my office chair when I'm not in it -- but the family TV room , that is our den -- no cats . Anytime they tried to enter they were shushed out . They learned . They will stop just outside the room . Dogs can be on main floor and downstairs --- not allowed up the staircase to the second floor library and bedrooms .

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I don't make life in my house a power struggle and battle when I get a puppy.

Instead I manage their life in my home while I TEACH (not just punish) them. It's much easier for us to punish. Really a no brainer. Bad dog = punish.

The smarter way it to actually figure out how to teach our puppy so they want to listen, learn and obey so we don't end up punishing much at all.

You can teach a 'go to your place' type command and REWARD when they go and stay in their dog bed.

BTW, GSD's are bred to want to be with their 'pack/owner/handler' it's what we WANT so we get that bond for training and life experiences. So the fact your puppy wants to be with you all the time is normal and what most of us want. Frankly, the baby gates in my house are more to keep the puppy IN the room I'm in rather than me away from the puppy.

You started up dog classes yet? Your instructor have any hints/tips/suggestions?

Great place to start teaching your pup to WANT to go to his crate and stay in his crate is Crate Games

1 - 8 of 8 Posts