German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im very upset to see this.. Christmas eve and morning i didnt notice this at all. I let him outt in the back yard yesterday morning around 10am then returned 8pm in the evening and noticed this immediately. I am very nervous about it and a vet doesnt work on sundays.. i keep telling myself it can wait till tomrrow morning to call the vet.. maybe they will let me take him in after work. what do you think?

·
Registered
32,590 Posts
It's really hard to tell from that picture. If he didn't have it before he was let out, it's probably an injury from being outside. Ringworm has a raised ring around an area. It's scaly. Does that look like it's raw? Like the skin was ripped off? Or does it look scaly with a raised ring?

btw...ringworm is very contagious.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Ringworm would have to be present for weeks to produce sores like that. So if you're positive it wasn't there recently it is very unlikely that it is ringworm.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Ringworm will not pop up suddenly like that and make a large lesion that fast. It could be a number of things but most likely it's a hot spot or sore that he started licking. Feel free to wash it with soap and water and then check with the vet in the morning.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's really hard to tell from that picture. If he didn't have it before he was let out, it's probably an injury from being outside. Ringworm has a raised ring around an area. It's scaly. Does that look like it's raw? Like the skin was ripped off? Or does it look scaly with a raised ring?

btw...ringworm is very contagious.
I think it was an injury too.. but i guess i made a mistake by touching itwith my knuckles around the area and on it to see if he felt pain and he didnt.. it looked a little raw.. but i was thinking if it was skin that ripped off some fur would be around it.. maybe not? i dunno.. thanks

Ringworm would have to be present for weeks to produce sores like that. So if you're positive it wasn't there recently it is very unlikely that it is ringworm.
Thanks im not sure how ringworm works that much.. all the stuff i saw online didnt say that.. this was just an over night think cuz i was playing with him on Christmas eve in my room cuz i gave him a new pull toy for xmas.. never noticed it.. but immediately noticed it when he cam inside Christmas night. Thanks

Ringworm will not pop up suddenly like that and make a large lesion that fast. It could be a number of things but most likely it's a hot spot or sore that he started licking. Feel free to wash it with soap and water and then check with the vet in the morning.
Thank u and everyone for responding. This makes me feel more revealed that its nothing 2 serious like a skin disease.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It almost looks like a histiocytoma, please let us know what the vet says.
I looked up pics of that and it does look simular.. Everyone i showed these pictures to wasnt sure what it was either. Im not in the money or anything so a vet trip is a big thing for me. i went to the vet yesterday night and the vet took a look at it and said it appears he just scraped his skin off and recommended ointment to help healing it up. I havent really owned a dog but from all the symptoms of ringworm it sure looked exactly like it. Anyway im glad hes going to be ok. anyway thanks for your help everyone from me and Jubei (joo-bay), no one ever pronounces it right lol..

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
looks like a like granuloma . The dog had some irritation there (or is bored) and started to lick till he self traumatised. Ontario residents may recall this past August the Ontario Humane on Woodbine north , had protestors because of dogs and cats being euthanized over a ring worm outbreak.

Ring worm is a FUNGUS, dermatophytes like toe nail fungus. Bald patches on your dog? Could be a case of Ringworm It is transmissable. The dog looks a little scruffy almost mangy.

One treatment is Selsun Blue 2.5% shampoo . Dandruff is fungal as well. Active ingredients in Head and Shoulders is an antifungal. You can use any cream used for athletes foot.

Put some hydrogen peroxide on this wound to dry it up.

Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did this clear up? It looks like a mark that recently showed up on Aspen. What was this?
aparently he cut himself in my back yard some how.. who knows... just odd that the cut was a circle and no blood shed or pain on it.. they just told me to put some ointment on it.. he was fine.. it cleared up after a month or so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts