German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
850 Posts
Hmm, a few more pictures would be nice but he might be a mix of a black and tan and a sable. He looks like a sable though from that picture. The paws are kind of throwing me off.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
Hmm, a few more pictures would be nice but he might be a mix of a black and tan and a sable. He looks like a sable though from that picture. The paws are kind of throwing me off.

a dog is either sable or not.

looks to be a sable pup. pencilling on the toes is a usually sign.
it's hard to tell since you can't actually see much of the pup

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the inputs. I will snap more pictures when I bring her home! Is she considered Dark Sable?

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
it's too early to tell from those pictures. If you have a photo when she is a few days old, that will give you the best idea. Singe went completely blonde before he go his adult coat in lol

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Yes, sable.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
post the pedigree of this good looking pup and we'll find a relative that he looks most like .
I will post it once I get them AKC registered. I actually picked out a different sable female who was more mellow. And her all black sister some how ended up coming home with us too. Lol

Attachments

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
oh NO ----- not two littermates -- not two sisters --- okay I am going to have to go to my reference books and make a separate thread about the disaster that this is .
reference would be Handbook of Applied Dog Behaviour and Training - Adaptation and Learning -

Choose ONE of them.

breeder should not have let you take two --- what is their interest , the welfare of the dog or the quick sale and $$$.

there are so many threads and posts about problems -- which are a given

visit this thread http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/400690-rethinking-popular-early-socialization.html

this is NOT a comment about your being an excellent owner --

do you know name of sire and dam --- if you post this I am sure someone can find the pedigree of the pooch(es).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for your concern but I found a home for the black puppy. A friend of mine fell in love with her after coming by for a visit.

This was an unplanned litter for the seller/breeder and they were moving out of the state in 2 weeks. They weren't getting a lot of inquires so in a sense they were desperate but they never offered me two puppies. My wife really liked the black pup and I liked the sable pup, so I offered to take them both home. To be honest, I knew I had a better chance finding them a good home if I couldn't keep both of them. I've raised two puppies before but they were not litter mates so I really didn't think this will be any different. I really appreciate your inputs.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Glad you were able to find a home for the second pup, you can always add a second one later on once your current pup is trained.

We have litter mate females. My wife and I were "all in" with training from the get go, she primarily trained one and I worked with the other. It worked for us, however I can easily see with how challenging Zoey is that in another home she alone would drive some people nuts.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yeah I've noticed ppl freak out when someone gets littermates... personally if you can handle it go for it.. it might be hard in the beginning but with time and patience I personally believe it would have worked out... love that sable pup

1 - 20 of 42 Posts