German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we brought our dog who is a little over 1yr to the vet for an eye infection, the doctor seemed shocked that he didn't weigh more. He is 68 lbs and had gained 1 lb in a month. He wanted to test his Pancreas and long story short, the test came back and the doctor thinks his Pancreas is insufficient. His stool has always been normal and his energy seems fine. I guess we always thought maybe he would bulk up as he got older. Of course he was prescribed enzymes to the tune of almost $200 and we already feed him grain free. I have posted the test results and wondered if there were any gurus here who had any thoughts..Should we get a second opinion?
Test results here

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I don't know anything about EPI but how does he look? My male was 69lbs at one year. Some take longer to grow and fill out and even a 70lb adult male is not outrageous. Is he all bony or just lean? Is his coat shiny? I thought EPI dogs had light foul loose stools.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
You don't need prescription enzymes - should be able to get OTC at health food store or online at about $30

Enzymes are great addition to diet to help breakdown food for better absorption and metabolism

compare the values on the scripted ones to others

Enzymes come in plant based and animal (pancreatin 4x, 6x or 8x)

Berte's (from B-Naturals) seems to have a good pproduct.

My dog was 70 lbs at 13 months - had chronic soft stool...75 lbs. at 15 months (when he was neutered) he filled out around 18 months despite issues to about 85lbs.

Think your dog is on target

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I don't know anything about PEI, but I have a 13 month old male GSD that probably doesn't weigh much more than 70 lbs. I can't say for sure because he was last weighed at 8 months and he was 60 lbs. at that time. I don't think he has gained much more than 10 lbs., but I could be wrong.

FYI - when you said "is this PEI?" All I could think of was Prince Edward Island. I guess I am kinda weird.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replys, the vet has not said PEI, just that his pancreas is insufficient and that we need the enzymes. His coat is shiny and he appears healthy to us although we are not experts. I am trying to find a more recent pic. This is the only one I can seem to find with his body, he is on the left with a dog we fostered, who we know is skinny LOL
I think I will definitely contact the vet for more info.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Gatorbytes, I was just reading your post and had a few questions. So my dog could still gain 10 to 15 lbs even though he is already 13 months? I figured he was pretty much finished growing and may just gain a couple more pounds. What does the average adult male GSD weigh?

Sorry, hope I am not hijacking this thread but I am curious.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Bruinsmom, it is kind of tough to tell from that picture, but I think he kind of looks like our Ranger. Ranger might even look somewhere between your dog and the skinny foster. Now I am curious. Ranger does seem like a small GSD, but I just figured that that was because the Seeing Eye breeds them on the smaller side. Still when we would go to Seeing Eye club meetings it seemed that Ranger was the smallest male dog there.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Gatorbytes, I was just reading your post and had a few questions. So my dog could still gain 10 to 15 lbs even though he is already 13 months? I figured he was pretty much finished growing and may just gain a couple more pounds. What does the average adult male GSD weigh?

Sorry, hope I am not hijacking this thread but I am curious.
He grew to about 2 yrs. Actually it was closer to 22 months that he was weighed at 85lbs...gradual - first he filled out width wise, then got more muscular and about 2 yrs. + his mane came in and he looked full grown (his B-day is Oct)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Thanks Gatorbytes. Ranger seems to be getting more solid around the chest, but his rear end still looks a little skinny. I hope that is normal. I am not sure what he is supposed to look like. My Australian Shepherds have always had too much fluffy fur to see whether they were skinny or not. Buzz (my Aussie) actually looks much heftier than Ranger but when I fell through all that fluffy fur I can tell that he is having a tough time keeping weight on his bones as he gets older (he is 11.5 years old).

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
It usually takes 2-3 years for them to finish. Right now he is like a teenage boy--and you know how different a skinny teen looks than a 30 year old adult!

I give Prozyme because I do feed a dog food that has carbs. [just because a food is grain free does not mean carbohydrate free and dogs are not "designed" to digest a lot of carbohydrates.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
BruinsMom: Forgot to add this earlier but I just wanted to let you know that there is a much cheaper alternative to the expensive enzymes from the vet. Enzyme Diane has many satisfied customers: Enzyme Diane -

Let us know what the vet says, I am interested now why he feels your boy needs to have enzyme replacement therapy.

Michaela

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am just wondering how did you vet conclude that your dog has EPI?
Was it based on his weight or actual blood test results and symptoms?

Looking at the test link you provided your dog's TLI rating is 19.1.
With this rating he is nowhere near the EPI borderline. If you got a rating of 7 or below he could be maybe concerned about EPI, but with a rating of 19.1 and no other clinical symptoms....I smell that somebody is after some $$$$$$$

If you dog is not showing any clinical symptoms (beside vets opinion being "underweight" 69 pounds at 12 months) and his blood TLI test results are normal (as they appear to be) I would let that dog mature / feed normally and measure his weight every 2-3 months. It is not unusual to have a GSD male at 72-75 pounds weight when mature (2 years old)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have contacted the Vet and faxed him some questions. I will let you know what happens. Thank you to everyone here as you all have helped me figure out what I need to ask!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
If you vet was basing the EPI diagnosis on his weight alone then I would NOT give him enzymes. His TLI looks fine and it sounds like he doesn't have any symptoms of EPI. Gsds should be kept lean (the front 3 ribs should be visible).

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
If you vet was basing the EPI diagnosis on his weight alone then I would NOT give him enzymes. His TLI looks fine and it sounds like he doesn't have any symptoms of EPI. Gsds should be kept lean (the front 3 ribs should be visible).
Why not?:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts