German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have another question regarding some recipes I found for home cooked meals. I’m eventually going to start feeding raw, but right now I don’t have enough freezer space so that’s why I’m feeding (well, ABOUT to feed) a home cooked diet. Anyway, I was looking on Canine Journal.com (specifically the “Kiss Kibble Goodbye: Homemade Dog Food Recipes) and while looking at the ingredients of the Beef Stew, I wasn’t sure if my dogs would be getting everything they need. I obviously would rotate the proteins and the two veggies (listed as green beans and carrots) but I didn’t really see any calcium. I may be wrong, but I’d rather get some more opinions just to be safe. Also, if anyone hase any example recipes to share I would love to hear them. Thanks!

·
Registered
32,344 Posts
I would not feed a home cooked or home made raw diet to a puppy without guidance from a nutritionist.

Monica Segal`s books are good as well as Dr. Beckers. Both books have diet plan s you can follow that ate complete.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
@CraztDogLady to answer your question about calcium. In the beginning of the article it states ground egg shell for calcium as a supplement. Looks like they are assuming that you know to add egg shell to the stew after it is made.

I'm not against home cooked meals as I have done kibble, home cooked and raw. Like Jaxo8 said... In a growing puppy so much can go wrong if the diet isn't balanced properly. Take your time....do a ton of research, make notes and go slow in your decision.

Personal opinion: Not a fan of the beef stew recipe. No organ meat, Vegetable oil isn't the best choice. Care needs to be taken with cooked oils and meat fat. Hard for a dog to digest and too much can easily cause pancreatitis.

In addition to Karen Segal and Dr. Becker's books other good resources for home cooking/raw are:

www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thank you! I don’t know much about homemade diets as I have mostly researched raw. I found a recipe from Dr. Karen Becker and I think I’ll go with that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts