German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seiran completely submerses her entire face when playing in the water in her splash pool, and swims under water in the pool. All the dogs I’ve had have submerged when jumping into water, but did not intentionally submerge after that initial jump. None swam under water.

When she first started doing it, I thought she couldn’t swim so I would pull her out. She would wade back in, and go directly under water and swim for a bit that way, and then swim on the surface, and then dive back underwater for some more swimming.

She will sneeze and cough as soon as she gets out, and then goes right back in, like she’s a duck, instead of a GSD. She also does it in her water bowl too. She wants her face under water.

·
Super Moderator
5,868 Posts
I've seen labs that will dive and retrieve things.We had a blue heeler years ago that acted a lot like Serian does.Like an otter:)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
My first german shepherd Tessa would drink with her nose submerged. As long as the bubble trail from her nose was there, I didn't mind.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I had a male GSD that was scared to swim, but would go out wading in shallow water. If a toy went under water, he'd submerge his whole head to retrieve it. If it floated out to the point where he'd have to swim to get it, he'd just let it go.

Oh, and he'd also drop his toys in the water bucket I left outside during the summer, then dunk his head to get them. I was constantly having to clean and refill the bucket!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had a rottweiler that was all about skin diving. We used to canoe down the Saco River in southern ME in the summers. Clear water and a sandy bottom I could not keep him in the canoe. He would be underneath it chasing leaves in the slow current.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'd be curious about why she is going under. Is she chasing light or shadows on the pool bottom? Definitely get a video of up, sounds interesting.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd be curious about why she is going under. Is she chasing light or shadows on the pool bottom? Definitely get a video of up, sounds interesting.
She’s not chasing anything, just enjoying a dip underwater. Same with her splash pool and water dish. She just loves to have her face under water.

I have videos, just can’t figure out how to upload them to YouTube! I did send the video to our vet, and he emailed me back this morning saying it’s not a problem to just keep an eye on her ears, clean them and dry them when she comes inside. He said while it’s unusual, it’s not unheard of, and to enjoy my beaver/GSD mix 😂.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts