German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi veryone again.. I have a JR & A GSD, when I put food (2 plates) on the ground for them to eat sometimes my JR goes and sniffs around in my GSD's plate and my GSD growls at him.. Is this agression or what?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Resource guarding.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Feed them further apart and if your Jack Russell finishes and goes to your GSD it's YOUR job to have him leave your GSD alone.

Heck I don't want people putting their hands on my plate and eating MY food either!

·
Registered
443 Posts
It sounds like you're setting up for trouble. Separate them when they eat. I think mealtime should not be stressful for any dog.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Well, if someone came and sniffed around my plate while I was eating, I'd growl at them too.

Your GSD should be able to eat in peace with no concerns or anxiety about the JRT taking his food. This is a management issue - as MRL mentioned, put the plates further apart, supervise and prevent the JRT from bothering your GSD.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
My dogs aren't allowed to sniff eachother's bowls. Once they are finished, I pick up their bowl and they go find something else to do until everyone is finished. I don't leave meal dishes down.

Nobody resource guards, but I don't give them the opportunity to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts