German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pacing? - YouTube

She does this all day. Sometimes I see the bugs she's chasing but other times it's just constant pacing.

We also have a couple of dogs on either side of the wall. I've been practicing sit, stay with her (which shes perfect at) but once the dogs are outside she begins fence fighting (I don't know if that's the right term). She starts to get excited and jumps against the wall. All her training goes out the window...I've no idea how to control her. I can't even 'catch' her or get her to come near me so I can put her in her crate.

Also, She's turning into a barker. Barking for no reason. If I'm outside with her I treat her for 'quiet' but she's learned to bark and then be quiet for a treat instead of being quiet for a long spell of time.

Do you think she's just adjusting from our move?

I'm in the process of getting another shock collar :c I think by Monday or Tuesday I should have it...if I use it on her when she's 'fence fighting' overly excited or when she doesn't listen maybe I can control her?

I can't control her even though I spend all day with her and a lot of time training and walking her...

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
She doesn't look frantic, just bored, from what I can tell. Maybe someone else with some experience with OCD behavior will be able to tell if there's something wrong or not. The endless barking is probably from boredom too. She has to get used to her new digs, but I hope you don't have to spend too much time there and get to move into your new home soon - although that is a nice yard, and I've had to kennel my dog in worse, lol.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I would not use an e collar for fence fighting unless you have previously used it and taught her what it means. If you take an e collar and just correct her for the fighting you could cause more problems. If you haven't already I highly recommend taking a look at Lou castle's protocol for the e collar. It works, it's gentle and the dog learns that they are in control of turning it off. You could then use it for barking and fence fighting. Otherwise I would consider an outdoor kennel and a bark collar so the neighbors don't complain.

As for the pacing and everything else I would say up her activity. Mental and physical and tire her out better.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Its a new place for her? I don't think it was anything more then her looking for a place to poop. My dogs pace like that ALL the time when they are looking for their spot. Watch how she is walking and the posture of her body, she did the same thing before she peed. Did she poop shortly after you turned the video off?

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
I have chihuahuas on either side of me and a spastic Britney spaniel behind me. When mine start fence fighting Ill bounce a ball and I immediately get their attention. I'll play fetch once they sit/settle and ignore the other dogs lunging at the fence. You just have to find whatever is more interesting for Zeeva to gain her attention.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
She is looking at/following the edges of the tree shade /sun lines/ sun patches in the grass and following her shadow trying to catch it! I have seen Cowboy do a hint of this now and then. I thought it's what she might be doing while I was watching it, :15 secs in you see it more pronounced, but finally at :54 in the video, totally confirmed it. She is entertaining herself but though I am not an expert in this area or even well-read, it's an OCD behavior and can get carried away.

·
Registered
31,706 Posts
I'm no expert but I don't see an anxious dog. I see a dog looking to entertain herself.

As far as the e-collar, be very careful using this for any kind of aggression. The dog will relate the shock to whatever they are looking at. You need to do some behavior modification to teach her to ignore the other dog. I used the e-collar to stop the reaction and then used LAT to work on the behavior modification, but all this needs to be done at a distance within their threshhold. You can't stim her while she's in the middle of fence fighting. You have to stop the reaction before it starts.

and btw...nice to see you on here! I wondered where you were!

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've tried to distract her with her favorite tug toy. She gets even more riled up and runs away from me...

I've used an e collar before but am no expert...she knows when it's on that she needs to behave. In fact just the beep will get her to relax no need for a shock.

She didn't go poo after the video. She does pace when she has to poo but I dunno...it's fairly different. More urgent and halting if that makes sense...

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
How old is she, and how long ago did this behavior start? Or is it something she's always done?

Have there been any changes recently? You mentioned a move, how long ago was that? Have you had houseguests or pets coming/going? A change in your schedule?

I have found that it takes about 3-4 weeks for most dogs to adjust after a move, but it can take longer, especially if there is something exciting or stressful like other dogs barking through the fence. Has she been able to meet the dogs next door, other than fence-fighting with them?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She's 3. We moved here on Sunday. She's never done this type of pacing before...it gets more frantic than what is recorded especially at dawn. She's been around this home often but hasn't 'lived' here. Meeting our neighbor dogs isn't feasible as she isn't very well socialized and I'm afraid of her reaction (I dunno if its me because my husband can take her to meet new dogs and she's fine).

She gets 2 walks 50 minutes each...

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Looks to me as if she is searching for something to do.
How much mental stimulation does she get?
Have you tried hiding a toy, and playing tug when she finds it?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Zeeva, I think she is just anxious with the move back and all. I know you said before that the doggies had to stay outside while you're staying at your parents house.
I think that is also very different for Zeeva and Smokey, who are used to being able to be in the house.

It could be slight OCD behaviour because of boredom, not sure. I would see if there a place that you might be able to take them to off leash when other dogs aren't around to be able to blow off some pent up energy.

Sorry, I hope your move went ok :confused:

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Oh, you JUST moved! No wonder. I wouldn't worry about it, she will probably settle down as she gets accustomed to her new surroundings. If it goes on longer than a month or so, I'd start thinking about what you could do to alleviate her boredom/anxiety, but honestly, she doesn't seem anxious to me. Just kind of bored and looking for something to do, wondering what this new environment is all about.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
She does seem a little stressed and confused to me.

I'm sure it's just a matter of her settling into her new environment.

I get the impression that she's picking up on a lot of scents from other dogs. Is there a chance that the people before you had a number of dogs or cats back there?

·
Registered
31,706 Posts
She's 3. We moved here on Sunday. She's never done this type of pacing before...it gets more frantic than what is recorded especially at dawn. She's been around this home often but hasn't 'lived' here. Meeting our neighbor dogs isn't feasible as she isn't very well socialized and I'm afraid of her reaction (I dunno if its me because my husband can take her to meet new dogs and she's fine).

She gets 2 walks 50 minutes each...

Awwww...so it's a new environment. Give her time. She doesn't look terribly stressed, more curious. What are you doing about shelter?

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I also think it looks more like she's looking for something to do , I don't see anxious or stressed, investigating her new place, and amusing herself.

I wouldn't use an e collar right now, I'd wait a couple weeks and let her settle.

If you want to control the barking, try a bark collar, you can get a cheapie (that works great by the way I have one), at walmart for around 39.00

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
She reminds me of Lakota. I tell her she's got ants in her pants. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

·
Registered
637 Posts
leash her whn you are outside so she cant fence fight.if she is on leash an you are holding the leash she cant get to the fence. she looks bored , and definitely needs more mental exercise and physical exercise. since you just moved keep the old routine the same from the last house you lived at, dogs love routine. i moved 4 times in 3 years recently and kept my dogs on the same routine for each move, and on leash so they couldnt get away from me.. up the exercise mentally and physically and give her a few weeks-1 month to settle in,. dont use a shock collar- thats not fair to her as you moved and she doesnt understand the move or new place..

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
I didn't view the link, but my feeling is she is looking for familiar surroundings and scents...dogs are creatures of habit, just going through a diff. door to diff. area's for elimination can create anxiety you are seeing

I JUST moved two weeks ago today. We had been in the same place for nearly 6 yrs. so this was a MAJOR adjustment...first few walks you would have thought he was lost (on leash), out the door - he's like left?, no go right? no go back to driveway....sniff my truck, drive side, passenger side (what he knows), whined to get in as though it would take him back "home"...first 2-3days he didn't really have a poop spot, anxious on walk looking for "it"...inside, I couldn't walk into another room, bathroom, he was on his feet looking at me as though I was leaving him forever...and come out of bathroom and it's like I had left for hrs....he is now settling and actually went to bed before me last night...still checking my truck, but just a quick skim then it's "lets go" (smell a kitty over here;)) and gotta get to the creek stat, gotta poop...got things to sniff yah know!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts