German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charlie is today 9 months old. Up to 7 months old he had been gaining a steady 10 lbs @ month. Since then, only a few lbs per month; today he weighted 82 lbs when he turned 9 months.

Feeding has not changed much. I feed him 70% Canidae and 30% Orijen (3 1/2 cups @ day).

He really only exercises a full one hour @ day by running freely in the golf course behind our house with us once everyone's gone. The rest of the day, since we work he stays in his xpen, we go home for lunch and let him out.

Is this normal weight for a 9 month old male? Why isn't he gaining 10 lbs per month like he should and was? Any ideas????

·
Registered
932 Posts
82 lbs is a good size for 9 mth old, my 4 yr old is only 90-95 unless yours is one of the oversized ones, but it sounds like you have a big boy on your hands

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
The only way anyone can tell if it is "normal" weight is with a picture. Could be it is the right weigh for his size and build, or he could be too fat or thin. DIfferent dogs mature at different rates physically too.

My pup is the same age as a few others on the board, yet she is taller and heavier than most and they are males. (And her sire and dam are NOT oversized.) That does NOT necessarily mean that she is going to be bigger than they are as adults.

He isn't still gaining 10 lbs a month becuse as they get older, their growth rate slows down.

According to one of the weight charts for GSDs I have seen, they say average for a 9 month old male is 69lbs. (Which seems a little "light" to me.)

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Originally Posted By: french Why isn't he gaining 10 lbs per month like he should and was? Any ideas????
There is no rule that says puppies must gain 10lbs per month. 82 lbs sounds like a healthy weight to me for a 9 month old.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well they have growth spurts and will flucuate in the amount of weight they will gain. My female would grow in frame but not weight for awhile then the opposite for a few weeks....every dog is different too.

My girl was weighed yesterday at her annual exam. She weighs 82.5 lbs. @ 14 mos old--my vet said she is right where she should be for her build/age.

Its hard to tell if hes to heavy or not without pics to see the waist and ribs.

If he would gain 10lbs a month he would be up to 112 lbs at 1 yr old (which would be too heavy according to breed standards.)

Sounds like you have a healthy growing boy, I wouldn't worry too much as long as he is eating normally and getting plenty of exercise.

·
2,967 Posts
Totally normal for their growth to slow like that. Mine has been in the 70-80lbs range since he was 7 months old.

As long as he looks nice and trim with a discernible waist and tuck in his underline I would assume he's a good healthy weight. As long as not all his ribs are showing (I like to see one or two ribs on mine) and hip prominences are not evident, he's probably not starving to death!

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I second what BlackGSD said - the only way for us to judge whether it's a good weight on your dog or not is by seeing a picture. Right now, it's really anyone's guess since dogs mature and grow at different rates, some are taller, some are heavier boned, so it's all very relative to the individual dog.

My 5 year old female is just under 24" at the withers and 62lbs, which is an excellent weight on her.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<span style='font-family: Fixedsys'><span style='font-family: Arial Black'>THIS IS CHARLIE BUT AT 8 MONTHS OLD. HE HASN'T CHANGED MUCH EXCEPT FOR ABOUT 5 LBS + SINCE THEN. YOU CANNOT SEE HIS RIBS AT THIS POINT, BUT HE DOES HAVE A DEFINED WAIST.</span>

HOPE THIS PIC HELPS.
</span>
[/img]

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine was 88 pounds at 11 months, and he still has a good waistline. I was hoping he doesn't get too much bigger. He is german bloodlines, and I thought that was getting towards the upper end of the scale. Not to mention, he is so strong as he is. Can't imagine a 100+ lb dog.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Dante gained about 10 pounds a month until he was 7 months then it slowed down.
He's a very nice 85 pounds now at 4 years old

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
As you might have guessed, this is not the first time this topic has been discussed!

<span style="color: #3366FF">useful spreadsheet/chart</span>

If he was not fixed yet, his hormones have told his bone plates to stop growing (a good thing), but his head will get a bit bigger. If he was fixed before 7 mos, he may be lankier and a bit heavier than otherwise would have been the case.

Either way, he is as long and as tall as he's gonna get for the most part, and he'll put on a few pounds as he matures and fills out.

So what you're seeing is completely normal.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No he has not been fixed. His temperament is so good I haven't had the need to.

His daddy is huge, in body size NOT in weight. So I imagine he is taking after him.

Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts