German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! We have a 10 week old male and he has his usual puppy crazy time in the evenings around 6-7pm, and occasionally also right when we wake up in the morning. Last night during this crazy time, he became very interested in the track of the slider door that leads to our backyard and was scratching at it, etc and we tried to get his attention away from it and onto a toy, etc but to no avail. So finally, I picked him up to get him away from it and he growled/snarled and started biting me instead.
It was like he was frustrated and upset that I was taking him away from what he was so interested in, but is that normal for this young of a pup?!
I put him in his ex pen to calm down and when he had settled I let him out again but the exact same thing happened so I put him back in his ex pen and he eventually went to sleep.

has anyone dealt with this during the crazy puppy hours?! Is this normal for him to have a growl type of reaction?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Common, yes.
Normal, no or subjective.

The pup won't remember or hold it against you so move on imo.

But I'd also read every puppy biting thread you can while he's this age and get ready for what's coming right at you.

·
Registered
656 Posts
At that young age, I tried to focus on redirecting pups attention to something I wanted him to play with rather than taking things away. A piece of soft suede tied to a 6-foot cord worked great for quick distractions. I would just jiggle just it out of pups reach until he started chasing it.

The downside is whenever I try to use a dust cloth or cleaning rag, Ole still thinks it is his 'flirt rag.' You can google flirt pole for examples. When inside, I just used the cord and lure without the pole

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
What is so fascinating about the slider? I would want to know....One of my dogs digs the carpet. Hasn’t broken through yet but I never figured out why she does that.

·
Registered
538 Posts
My 17 wk old is trying to dig to China by way of the couch cushion :unsure:

Reactions: LuvShepherds
Bear - 9 month old male GSD & 5 cats - Benny (6), Nani (6), Kingston (6), Rigby (4) and Hazel (3)
314 Posts
Mine digs into the wooden floor!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts