German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Sasha is 10 weeks today!!! Since she has been home she only eats about ¼ to ½ cup for breakfast then goes looking for her bowl around lunch time (we take it away when she shows no interest in it) and finishes it off. Then dinner same thing, eats about ¼ to ½ cup and walks away and shows no interest. With a little help, eating out of my hand she will eat a little more but not finish it then later on in the evening she goes looking for her bowl again. Is this normal for a 10 week pup?

We started with the Orijen Adult and thought maybe she didn’t like it as she had an upset tummy, vomiting and very loose/soft stools so I put some pure pumpkin with her kibble but again only ate ¼ to ½. Have not put pumpkin since there was no vomiting or diarrhea but her poop is still very soft. We just recently started her on Fromm’s to see if this makes a difference, again she only eats ¼ to ½ and walks away.

The other thing is when we are in the backyard playing, she would rather eat dirt, literally out of the garden then play. I coaxed her back to play it works for a short time and then she runs for the dirt. That’s when playtime outside ends.

Any advice? Any thoughts as to why she only eats so little amounts at a time?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 5-1/2 month old puppy and feed her 4 cups of Orijen large breed puppy food every day, but she's a grazer so doesn't eat it all at once. She does eventually finish it before she goes to bed, though. She also gets a few small dog biscuits during the day as treats when she comes in from going to the bathroom, and she scarfs them down right down.

Maggie is the first dog I've had who didn't eat all of her food at once, but I've learned from reading the boards here that it's not abnormal.

Susan

·
Registered
194 Posts
how long have you had sasha? when i got my pup a little over a month ago she barely ate anything for the first 10 days or so. probably 1.5 cups a day max. once she settled in she started being hungry all the time and now she is eating 4 cups.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sasha has been home for 3 weeks this friday. So I shouldn't be alarmed if she is only eating limited amounts. She is very nippy too, I mean more than puppy nippy, thats why I think she is hungry. And she likes to eat dirt....

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. Sasha is the our first GS.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've had Karma for about 4 wks and she does the same thing. Maybe it's just a puppy thing. They are soo excited and just don't have time to eat lol. But she dies finish off her food right before bedtime.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ours would eat when he wanted to. If we are in the room he will eat it all. BUT when he is alone he was wondering what he was missing when we left the room. He was also a dirt eater. Grew out of that in a few weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts