German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought the KONG dog toy that you put treats in and they have to work it out. I got a puupy one for my 11 wk old and he can never get the treats out and whines and goes crazy over it. Do you think it mean to give this to him?

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
If he can't get them out, you need to make it simpler. Can you put smaller treats in? I prefer not to show them how to get it out because I like my dogs to be able to think for themselves. If he can't solve the problem, back up a step or two and make it simpler. Once he's got that down, make it a bit harder again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't think it is mean to give your puppy a kong dog toy filled with treats. I have been giving my Cooper (now almost 10 months) the same thing since he was 11 weeks old. It is great problem solving for them. My Cooper would always look at me for some help and whine, but when he realized he was on his own he really worked hard on getting those treats out of the toy. Now, it's harder for me to come up with a "new way" to get the treats in the toy because he has remembered his "steps" to getting treats out.

Enjoy your 11 week old. My Cooper did not look like a little puppy for very long. He's my sweetheart though!

Take care,
Terry K.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I would start with peanut butter or something he can "lick" out of the kong first. Building his confidence that he's succeded in getting the prize. Then try putting kibble pieces in (they easily fall out) but once again, its building his confidence. Slowly build up to things that take more time and problem solving and he'll figure it out.

Both of my dogs have Kongs and Bear will never give up! LOL He will carry it around all day until he figures it out. Mya, on the other hand, will try and try for a bit, then give up and forget about it. She could care less about the treat inside if she cant get to it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I am so glad you asked this question because we have been thinking about doing this for CJ when a little older and I wasn't sure. I am so glad that everyone on this site is so willing to offer good advise and experiences.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Tessa will play with hers until she is bored. She has figured out that if she stands with it her mouth and throws it on the floor, that pieces will fall out! It's very funny to watch her pick it up and toss it repeatedly, just to get a little piece of kibble!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts