German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
I'd imagine that just like obtaining real drugs for narcotics detection training, with the right contacts, certifications and permits, it's perfectly legal. Can't train cadaver dogs without parts, so there has to be some way for trainers to get them. Would depend on the state, and on the credentials of the person trying to obtain the bones.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hubby is saying yes it is legal. (was a cop for 21 yrs) Atleast to police dogs. Probably, from people who donated their bodies to science?

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
i believe it is legal, that is how the anthropology department at my undergrad got bones for classes (i'm sure it was a different website, but same idea). they said there was a really long wait list for full bodies.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just thought it was strange that anyone would buy human parts/bones over the net without some proof of what they were being used for. Like SAR or a science teacher etc... Just wondering thanks for the response.

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
I was under the impression that it was illegal UNLESS you had special certifications etc. It would also vary from state to state because of various laws etc.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
no generally in most states i don't believe you need special certification, etc. i'm sure there are some states that have different laws of course.

i'm pretty sure you cannot buy or sell native american remains because of NAGPRA.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Oh..Skulls unlimited is here in Oklahoma city. They use bones from people who were "donated to science". No graveyard ghouls here. I've been there, it IS freaky to see a real human skull staring back at you!! And water buffalo, lions, all kinds of bones....yeck!!

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Perfectly legal. I have a skeleton purchased from there. Many of us purchase from there and the bone room. They cannot ship to a state whre there is a problem nothing wrong with this at all

I would suggest skullsunlimited for HRD dogs. Bone Room bones are 40-50 years old of Asian descent. Very dry and small. Skulls Unlimited are more contemporary . Tell them what you want them for and they will choose.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Originally Posted By: Chris WildI'd imagine that just like obtaining real drugs for narcotics detection training, with the right contacts, certifications and permits, it's perfectly legal. Can't train cadaver dogs without parts, so there has to be some way for trainers to get them. Would depend on the state, and on the credentials of the person trying to obtain the bones.

Nothing like dope and explosives. Those are contraband and illegal to possess unless one is a LEO or has DEA license and/or ATF license. Possession of legally obtained bone is no problem. These businesses have legally obtained them,no problem unless and individual state has an issue. No permits necessary

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
Kewl I was always mis-informed then. Considering my sources I never should have posted but....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts