German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Sabo has now started the run-by biting! We will be walking and he will come up and try to gnaw on a leg, or come to the couch and when being pet, try to gnaw on our hands. What on earth? It HURTS!!! He has already lost his two front teeth, so he's obviously teething, but OUCH!!!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Bored puppy + convenient body part = OUCH

Just have chew items all over the house so you can replace body part with the toy but then you MUST play for a bit to prove the toy is better than flesh!!!

Pup is getting older so probably needs MORE exercise and fun training. You have those dozens of tricks trained yet?

click this! --> http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...191183-top-training-expectations-puppies.html

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bored puppy + convenient body part = OUCH

Just have chew items all over the house so you can replace body part with the toy but then you MUST play for a bit to prove the toy is better than flesh!!!

Pup is getting older so probably needs MORE exercise and fun training. You have those dozens of tricks trained yet?

click this! --> http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...191183-top-training-expectations-puppies.html
I will say, if he is bored he is one ADHD pup! I am constantly tossing balls for him, taking him to the back to play in a puppy pool or working with obedience...but this kid needs to nap at some point lmao we are working on making friends in our new neighborhood so he can have some socialization and today's goal is to find a trainer!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Since this is what I have to do with my pups a few times a week, I know anything I do around my house yard isn't enough for my puppies either..

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Hehehe.... Yes it is! Enjoy your fuzzygator!:D

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Welcome to the fun part of being a new GSD puppy owner. It gets better in a few months. Fiona at 13 months still gets mouthy and wants to eat my hands. You should have seen Maria's scars from Dexter. Ice cubes will help with the owie in his mouth. I would fill a water bottle half full and freeze it on its side. Fiona would gnaw on it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Could one of the members please take the time to write a clear and concise explanation of Land Sharking? It sounds like a common thing, but what exactly is it and what have various members done to eliminate it from happening. I think I know what it is, but would like to be 100 % sure just in case I have to deal with something like it in the future. Thanks!!!

Wheelchair Bob

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Bob, land sharing is when a puppy starts to lose puppy teeth and get his big boy teeth. They like to chew on everything. You, furniture, rocks, etc. you cannot eliminate it. You can minimize it by teach bite inhibition. Do a search for that here. Whatever you do, do not ever hit your dog. Fiona was my first dog and she bit my foot and had a good hold of it. I was in horrible pain and I wacked her on her head. Trainer said NO! I still feel guilty.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Bob, land sharing is when a puppy starts to lose puppy teeth and get his big boy teeth. They like to chew on everything. You, furniture, rocks, etc. you cannot eliminate it. You can minimize it by teach bite inhibition. Do a search for that here. Whatever you do, do not ever hit your dog. Fiona was my first dog and she bit my foot and had a good hold of it. I was in horrible pain and I wacked her on her head. Trainer said NO! I still feel guilty.

What is the best way to tell whether or not my pup has lost her baby teeth and has adult teeth? Is there away just by looking? She is 7 months old.

·
Registered
124 Posts
What is the best way to tell whether or not my pup has lost her baby teeth and has adult teeth? Is there away just by looking? She is 7 months old.

Yes, by looking. Puppy teeth are smaller and sharper, like razors. Dog teeth are, well, bigger. :)

Sounds silly, but I never realized dogs had "baby" teeth, until my puppy went through it. Totally logical, just never thought about.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
you have the run-by-nip, walk-by-nip, looks like i'm
not going to nip-by nip, step over me nip-by-nip,
just look at me nip-by-nip, touch me anywhere nip-
by-nip, nip that's what i do nip-by-nip, i'm going to
nip you before you finish posting nip-by-nip. the
nip-by-nips are endless. with training and age it's
going to stop. then it's going to be "where did my
little nipper go".

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you have the run-by-nip, walk-by-nip, looks like i'm
not going to nip-by nip, step over me nip-by-nip,
just look at me nip-by-nip, touch me anywhere nip-
by-nip, nip that's what i do nip-by-nip, i'm going to
nip you before you finish posting nip-by-nip. the
nip-by-nips are endless. with training and age it's
going to stop. then it's going to be "where did my
little nipper go".
Omg this had me ROLLING!!!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
My girl Tess, who will be 11 months in a couple of weeks was one of the worst nippers I ever had. My husband and I were always covered with bites marks and bruises, I had them on my hands, arms, feet, ankles, legs and believe it or not, face. Yep, she even jumped up and bite me on the cheek one day while we were playing due to her over excitement of trying to get the ball away from me. It's hard not to get angry at them but you really need to keep it in check. I use to go in to my bedroom, slam the door and cry. I seriously thought I had an aggressive puppy on my hands. I would try walking her but she never wanted to stray far from her comfort zone, so she would anchor herself to the ground and if I managed to get her to the end of the block, she would turn around and pull me all the way back to her yard.

It wasn't until I hired a behaviorist/trainer to assess the situation and found out that Tess was just being a normal GSD puppy, for the most part, and needed lots of training and exercise. One of the best things I got for Tess was a flirt pole, she loves it and spends lots of time chasing after the little toy I tied to the end of it. Her trainer would also bring over agility equipment and use that to tire her out, it made a huge difference in Tess. Once she had a lot of exercise, I was able to work with her better also. I started out teaching her to heal in my kitchen, baby steps. Graduated to the driveway and today, Tess walks right beside me, which is so nice when your walking a 76 lb dog, trust me. I also send her out on adventures with other dogs, when she was a smaller puppy, she didn't like playing that much with other dogs. I tried daycare but she would stand in the corner and watch all day long, never interacting with the other dogs there. Once I tried sending her out a couple of times a week on adventures with other dogs, she loves it and plays and interacts with lots of different dogs now. She also learned to swim by watching the other dogs.

Today, she is just the best girl, she's loving and gentle, oh she still gets nippy on occasions, especially when she gets excited, but it's nothing major, nothing like she was at 4 months of age. Have faith and good luck, it does get better.

·
Registered
244 Posts
OMG. that is hysterical. I could never get mad at my girl for a little nip, even if it hurt or even drew a little blood. I know she would never hurt me on purpose so I just assume it was an accident and get some mercurochrome and call it good. Indi still has about 6 month of being a puppy left and I will definitely miss it when it's over. I always do with every dog I have ever had. She is my first GSD so I am learning all about a new breed at the same time too. But I am a deep down died in the wool dog lover so they always get the best of everything I can provide. If I cant provide for them I have no business having them...

Wheelchair Bob

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Welcome to the fun part of being a new GSD puppy owner. It gets better in a few months. Fiona at 13 months still gets mouthy and wants to eat my hands. You should have seen Maria's scars from Dexter. Ice cubes will help with the owie in his mouth. I would fill a water bottle half full and freeze it on its side. Fiona would gnaw on it.

It's true my scars are embarrasing. I got quite a few drive by nips from Dexter and every chance he got he was ripping my pants pocket and biting my arms. He especially seemed to like biting just me. He's so good now. He holds my hands in his mouth so gently now. I thought it would never be over when it was happening though , but this site gave me hope. Just know they really seem to pick on the ones they love lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts