German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, my baby Enoch who is almost 5 months has been trying to mount me. This is my first male dog so I'm completely new to this. Does this have to do with pack structure or just a stage he is going through. I think I'm doing a decent job being a pack leader. I walk out of doors first, he sits before he eats etc.. My brother and I are the ones that spend the most time with him but I do all of the training. He hasn't tried to mount my brother but he has with me. Is this him trying to dominate me? If so, what could I be doing wrong where he thinks he can? Also how do you correct it? Right now I say a firm no and just pull him off of me. I can kind of gage when he looks like he is about to do it and I stop him before it happens. I notice he does it in the morning when I'm about to take him out to play. I know this may seem like a minor issue and it is. I know I'm blessed that I don't have problems with him eating poop \:\) but I definitely don't want an 80# dog mounting me no matter how much I love him. So, should I ignore him or is this a sign of me not being a strong enough pack leader?

·
Registered
340 Posts
IMO, it has nothing to do with your ability to show pack leadership. I wouldn't get to worked up about it, if you do he may enjoy the attention he gets. You might try ignoring the behavior, turn around and go on with your business. The more of a deal you make of it, the more he's going to find it fun.

Its typical behavior, females will do it to. If he is doing it primarily before he's about to go play...maybe he's just anticipating the fun and he gets excited. Try to be really non-chalant when its time to go out...in other words...don't YOU get all excited and use excited language towards him...you know what I mean? That can get them amped up.

If he persists, just body block him and give him an "eh eh". Don't get angry and don't pull him off...that might be a signal to him that you want to join in and play.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I have 3 males and they have never done that, what I have been told is when they do something like that it is dominance and only pack leaders is the one that does that. I would tell him a firm NO everytime he does that and redirect his attention to like catching a ball or something else so he forgets he was doing that.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I have a female who likes to mount other dogs and for her it is play behavior. When she gets really excited she will try to mount Rafi and she used to do it to Basu when he was alive. Basu would also mount when he was excited or nervous. He also tried to mount people when they were sledding!

I wouldn't worry about the dominance issue and I would try a different technique. Since you can predict when he's going to do it and it is related to him getting excited, I would train him to pick up a toy when he gets excited. Once he gets the idea put a command on it ("Get your toy") and then you can interrupt and redirect the behavior and he will very quickly get a toy instead of mounting you!

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Sounds to me like he is doing it because he is excited, BUT if he viewed you as above him in the "pecking order" he wouldn't do it to YOU. I have never seen a subordinate to it to the alpha. (At least not more than ONCE.)

I'm NOT waying you need to go all "gung ho" on the "I am alpha" thing. But I wouldn't ignore it, that could cause him to see it as acceptable behaviour. As was said, since you can tell when he is going to do it, find something else for him to do BEFORE he has a chance.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I think it is all about the Alpha dog. Bear will never jump on me or try to hump me, but other family members he will, and they will have to deal with it. I tend to have a relationship wiht my dogs that......i am very loving and will help you in anyway possible, but if you challenge me, you will realize I am King Kong. Never had an issue.

·
Registered
228 Posts
JD did this to me the first day he was home. But I discouraged it and he has never done it to me since. Now if he bites on a towel...it's open season for him.

I believe I just pushed him aside...gave him a No...and gave him a toy to chew on. I think if you can divert their attention to something else...they'll realize that your leg is something that shouldn't be mounted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts