German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was looking at google images and I found a picture of a german shepherd leaping over(barely) a barbed wire fence with a shadow of a person taking a picture in the shot. I thought, "Who would make their dog jump over a BARBED WIRE fence just for a picture?"

And it lead me to a breeder's site. There are red flags all over the place, but I wonder about the legality of this one:

"We let our puppies go to their new homes at about 6 weeks of age."

I know that some states have a minimum age requirement before a dog can be sold, but I don't know the laws for each state. They are located in Missouri. What's the minimum age a puppy can be sold in Missouri? Is it even possible to report a breeder through the internet, and how would someone go about doing that?

And just for kicks, here's some quotes from their website:

"We do not have hip guarantees. None of our dogs have been tested for hip displaysia. "

"We do not have our puppies examined by a vet. "

"We usually use the store brands (Wal-Mart’s Ol’ Roy),...."

"While we are sure the pups we sell are not worm free, everything about them indicates that parasites are not affecting their development.

The worms that our puppies have are typical and should not be expensive for their owners to deal with.

In terms of pain, unless the dog has a severe case (you would call him sick), the treatment of de-worming is more uncomfortable than the worms. If you look at the pictures of our puppies you will agree that none of them come close to looking like they are affected by worms."

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I can not believe that someone would be so stupid to put this on their website???? Or better yet that someone would be stupid enough to buy a pup!!!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Wth?!?!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Their dogs are also not registered:

"We bought our dogs already registered with APRI.
Their previous owner told us that it was much easier dealing with APRI and that AKC took too long to process and was more of a hassle. "

Having all of this stuff on their website would be almost impressive in terms of honesty, except that I'm pretty sure they are completely unaware that their breeding practices are very bad.

Also, I'm not sure, but is spraying the housing facilities of puppies with insecticides safe?

The puppies are also kicked out of the house and grow up outdoors when they are 4 weeks old due to being "too noisy and messy to continue to keep in the house."

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I can't even imagine....that someone put those quotes as a selling point on their website....
IF it is on there...it must be there as a "spoof"......like saying " cheap in bred pups for sale"...
I know of a breeder who made such an "idiotic" selling statement....because it got people to look, because of the shock factor.
After you looked...you could see that she was trying to make a "mockery" of mills.....
She is in all actuality, a good breeder with some nice dogs.........
*Perhaps...it is something like that?*

I can only assume.....because I have no idea who the breeder is in the topic...or the website.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't even imagine....that someone put those quotes as a selling point on their website....
IF it is on there...it must be there as a "spoof"......like saying " cheap in bred pups for sale"...
I know of a breeder who made such an "idiotic" selling statement....because it got people to look, because of the shock factor.
After you looked...you could see that she was trying to make a "mockery" of mills.....
She is in all actuality, a good breeder with some nice dogs.........
*Perhaps...it is something like that?*
I can only hope it's a spoof, but it really doesn't seem like one. I can't find any indication that it's a joke. These aren't their selling points, they just have a very extensive FAQ and I guess those are questions people have asked them.

They seem like a farm family just letting their animals breed willy nilly, because they sell cats, horses, and they have pages that are under construction for birds and cattle.

EDIT: I'm e-mailing them now and asking if their website is for real. I wonder what their reply will be!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I think the AGE a puppy has to be (or not) goes by state law.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Unfortunately...there isn't much anyone can do...(if it's for real).
States have their own laws governing "animals or live stock".
Food, water & shelter is usually all that is required. Inoculations vary State to State, and so does registration in the counties.
There is no "law" that indicates that dogs be kept in your home, loved and cuddled.
Farm dogs are often kept solely outdoors, with shelter, food & water.....
*I know...it doesn't sit good with me either.......

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's the website of the legal age to sell puppies.

Age to Sell Puppy Table

Puppies cannot be transported by a commercial carrier unless 8 weeks old.

Sorry, I see you are in Canada. This is US stuff.
The breeder is located in Missouri, so it shouldn't matter where I'm located.

Does that mean it's legal to sell the puppies under 8 weeks old as long as they aren't shipped anywhere? I'm confused about what this means: Delivered by any person to any carrier or intermediate handler for transport, in commerce, or shall be transported in commerce

·
Registered
97 Posts
Delivered by any person to any carrier or intermediate handler for transport, in commerce, or shall be transported in commerce
Wouldn't "intermediate handler for transport" include the lady's dad?

"The pups are being raised on our farm in North Central Missouri. My Dad, who owns the father dog, Sonny lives in Oak Park, IL.
If someone would like to pick up their puppy in Chicago, my Dad can bring it home after one of his visits to Missouri and the buyer can pick it up there."

Also...I couldn't find any photos of "the father dog" on their website. How are people supposed to know if they really are getting purebred GSDs? Does the APRI register mutts? Oh...wait...they said they're purebred. It's on their website, so it must be true.

Edit: Nevermind... Found him! I thought he was a third female!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Oh geez, not another one...:headbang:

This one sounds like a typical BYB...selling pups for $350. Sadly, I really do not believe their site is a joke or their answers to the FAQ's section.

Their females are sisters and are 8 years old and still breeding.

Here is the description of their dogs:

It was the first time we were without a German Shepherd Dog when we moved to our 230 acre farm in Cainsville, Missouri during the summer of 2003. Buying a GSD was a priority. We were looking for a single, purebred German Shepherd as a pet, protector and helper. After calling a number of ads we purchased our 3 registered dogs as adults from a breeder in central Iowa who was retiring. While thinking of buying only 2 of them, he offered to sell us all three for the price of two. He wanted to try and keep them all together. Needless to say he is now very pleased with that decision. The dogs were kept in a pen outdoors and had dog houses. They had absolutely no discipline but were thrilled to see people. They were not even house broken and had no social skills whatsoever.

Today these same 3 dogs are well mannered, loyal and protective. They are house dogs but absolutely love going out on the farm and helping us with chores. They love water and are excellent jumpers. Having wonderful temperaments, they are also good with children. Now, in addition to the above, they are producing some very fine puppies which have grown into beautiful and useful dogs.

Shasta, (River Ridge Victoria) and Rose, (River Ridge Sheba), our two mother dogs are full sisters.
They were born September 23, 2002.
Sonny, (Heartland Mighty Sampson) is the father dog.
He was born September 11, 2001.

Sonny weighs about 90lbs, Shasta about 70lbs and Rose about 80lbs.

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
wow...just wow...their site is NOT a joke. what a bunch of idiots. Apparently, they've never had a puppy puke worms up on their carpet at 6 weeks old. That is extremely gross! And dangerous to the puppy!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
At first it sounded as if someone hacked their website. The more you post the more I think this is real.

The sad thing is I bet lots of people buy their dogs based entirely on the price.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts