German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,681 Posts
Hi. No, we can not tell by just looking at photos. Only way to know is with x-rays done by a vet that knows how to correctly position the dog and knows how to read the x-rays. Is he a rescue or coming from a breeder?

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
I can tell he looks overweight in the photo, which won’t help with hips and elbows, but no, no one will be able to tell except an experienced vet using X-rays.

·
Super Moderator
6,637 Posts
even if we were a board full of veterinarians specializing in orthopedics we couldn’t tell you from a photo, and don’t believe anyone who tells you they can (in person) without x rays. he is also fairly young to give any definite information.

·
Super Moderator
6,637 Posts
I can tell he looks overweight in the photo, which won’t help with hips and elbows, but no, no one will be able to tell except an experienced vet using X-rays.
i actually disagree about this weight. you can see and indent/outline of his rib cage, slight hip bones and a nice tuck (you have to zoom in to see that the light color is actually just cement from the background). i’d be more inclined to think that from a top view he’s pretty lean.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
An experienced person/vet might be able to guess if a dog has HD from watching its movement and feeling their hips in person, but nothing is conclusive without x-rays. I wouldn't let him gain weight but I don't think the pup looked overweight in that photo--you can even see a bit of a tuck in his waist. OP, is this a puppy you are thinking of buying? Have the parent's had their hips/elbows rated?

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
@Chris Yako, compare your dog to a canine body condition chart (easy to find with a Google search). This short video explains how to evaluate them using a chart:

This video has a longer explanation with a demonstration on a real dog:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts