German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! We got a dog from a couple yesterday and they said he's German Shepard and collie but I'm honestly not sure. They claimed they'd send me his vet records which they have not so I really don't know anything about him... except that he keeps chasing our cats. So I'm pretty upset at this moment. Idc what breed he is I just want to know bc if he's a type that is going to have a high prey drive forever then that is an issue. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,942 Posts
For starters... possibly some collie, no GSD.
However, both breeds are herding breeds. Herding breeds = prey drive. Dogs can have prey drive and still learn to live with cats. Mine do.
Lastly, this dog looks unhappy or unwell - I hope it’s the photo.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
He's a cute puppy. I dunno what he is. Collie, he may have collie. He may have some GSD. Any pup you get you will have to train. You probably have to restrict access, especially when you cannot supervise. Puppies are not necessarily easy, and that there pup will be a pup for a year or two more. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
That yellow dog, tip eared look is actually pretty classic Shepherd/Collie cross. He is very cute, and looks very miserable. What he actually is who knows but in time it may prove out.

I have had all manner of creatures abide together and it just takes some practice. Chasing cats is just a dog thing, he's a baby give him a minute to get a handle on things and have some care for the fact that he is in a new home with new people and he is probably scared and confused.

Where did you get him? And what is the little beggars name? We are going to want a story a name and more pictures!

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
I see the collie part. he can have gsd in their. Make sure there is an area in your home where the cats can go somewhere to get away and feel safe. A drag leash on your dogs so he can be taught not to chase the cats - Which can be tons of work. There is a two week shutdown that is recommended and can be found in the search section on this forum under - two week shutdown that is advised for new dogs in their new home- helps them get better adjusted.

·
Registered
31,813 Posts
Dogs of all breeds chase cats. That's a training issue. Keep him on a leash so you can control and correct him.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Agree. Do not let him be around the cats unsupervised

Really enforce "no." If he doesn't chase, then treat and praise so he learns that chasing the cats doesn't result in treats

My pup has a little more prey drive than I would've wished, but at 10mos old today, she's improved a lot. She still will try now and then, but we still just reinforce the training

·
Registered
10,481 Posts
Nice looking pup (diamond-in-the-rough-looking) Has he had a health exam? fecal test? If you consider neutering (read up on this) wait at least until he is fully grown and fit. He should get a golden shiny coat! Will be a good looking dog.

·
Registered
267 Posts
He's so cute. Bit rough right now, but I'm sure a bath and a vet check up will bring him around. He looks like a skinnier version of my rescued shepherd/husky/something mix. Be patient with him, he's young.
As for the cat thing, teach him "no", redirect him, and try to keep them apart for awhile. Over time, hopefully they'll learn to coexist, just make sure the cat has a safe place, while they learn to live together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts