German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jedda's 6 months old now, and I'm definitely seeing some new "testing the limits" behaviors, like selective hearing, thinking my bed might be hers, lots of head butting for attention, all of which I'm upping the NILIF for. But a couple recent dog interactions are worrisome to me (sorry this is long!)

On a hike, she saw an older Lab we've met perfectly nicely several times approaching. She got hackles up, and started jumping around on stiff front legs and barking. I leashed her right away and made her sit, and when the dog got up to us she was still jumping on me like she does when nervous/excited.

My boss has a 4/5 month spayed new puppy he adopted, and I offered to have her stay with us while he's out of town in mid June. We introduced the dogs in a park, and they got along famously for over half an hour, then Jedda dropped down on her haunches, really focused on Zoe, and chased her nipping on her butt. I was shocked, and it was over so quickly, I didn't react to her at all. A few minutes later, she did it again (clearly not play and Zoe was running full out with tail tucked so not fun for her either), and this time I yelled at her, snapped leash on and dumped her in the car. We stayed and played with Zoe for a minute so she'd hopefully get that she was in a time out.

And finally, on a hike again and was approached by a runner with her obviously shy pit mix. I had Jedda in a sit/watch me as the girl ran by as usual, but I completely lost her attention when she focused on the dog, and proceeded to bark and chase her away. Came back to me acting all proud of herself, leashed up and went home immediately even though we just got out there.

I have an appointment this weekend with one of our trainers, and I've asked the behaviorist at the dog day care to help me work on this new ugly behavior with dogs I think she believes she can easily dominate. (Interspersed with these uncool interactions, she has had many many appropriate interactions as well.) No more off leash, either, obviously, but I'd hate to have to stay like that permanently.

So, I know you can't "diagnose" her without seeing it in person, but does anybody have a idea of what this behavior means, and suggestions on how to nip it in the bud? She is a big dog, and these are the first "aggressive?" behaviors I've seen, other than a few occasions of looming over small dogs when she was younger. There are several very small dogs in our classes she plays very nicely with, BTW. Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
6 months is when all our pups start normal maturing and testing us and the world...

Pups CAN be bullies and CAN bet over excited and over stimulated with other dogs.

Are you in group classes with other dogs so you can better duplicate the world full of dogs with you learning the skills needed to lead your dog in all these situations?

You learn the clicker yet? Another method that works is

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for response! I haven't been able to view the video because my computer is a little retro, but I will try to check it out at work.

Anyway, yes, we take a lot of classes! With this teenage acting out stuff, I feel like I can't let up for a minute:rolleyes:

I talked to the people at the doggie day care, and they felt that she was definitely having fun chasing the little dogs (which they put a stop to whenever her chasee didn't seem to be having fun), but that when a dog let her know she was out of bounds, she was respectful and stopped on her own. They had her in with the little dogs for quite a while, and several of the littles are quite capable of putting her in her place! Then she went back in with the big dogs, and did really well there, too.

We just got back from the dog park (we went to the huge one and it was so hot I knew there wouldn't be a lot of dogs there) so we could practice a few meet 'n greets, and she did really well, even when a lady with 5 (no really 5) mini schnauzers walked by and several of them were going crazy. She's getting really ball-motivated, so that works well to keep her focus and reward her. So, I know we have work to do (um, understatement;) ) but I'm not freaking out! I could see that she was a little nervous with a few dogs running up to her, so I think she still has more fear than aggression, so I hope lots more socialization and building confidence will help get her to calm, eventually. Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts