German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Since I've been reading some raw bone-related accidents, I'm wondering if this bone (cow rib cage) is safe for my dog to gnaw on? I read that feeding cow ribs is okay as long as it's not a single rib. My dog follows a kibble and wet food diet, but every now and then I do give him raw bones to chew. I found a local butcher that give bones away for free, so if it's a good idea this might be a weekly thing.

I know that some bones like raw chicken wings is safe to consume (as in swallowed), how about this kind of bones in the picture, and a small oxtail? I had given him an oxtail bone, he swallowed it whole (after gnawing on it) but in the morning, he puked some of it out.

My dog is a 85-90lbs boy, 2 and a half years. Bonus picture of my dog. I never quite know what line of German Shepherd he is. Based on his looks, definitely working line but don't know from which side of the world lol. If anyone wants to chime in on this too that'll be great! Just curious what you guys think.

What do you think?

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
I personally would not, but I'm pretty risk adverse. I might let a trusted adult dog chew on it for 5 minutes and then throw it away, but I don't do that very often. My dogs occasionally get a large recreational bone to chew on (beef knuckle bone), but I try to never give in between sized bones.

I would say your dog is a West German Show Line, the same as mine. Does he have a pedigree?

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I've given mine raw beef bones without issue in the past, however if there is even a slight chance your dog might swallow it whole you might want to reconsider. I will use locking pliers on one end of a bully stick to help prevent it from being swallowed, not sure about that working with bones as some power chewers could break off shards and swallow them.

ETA, nothing is 100% failsafe except not feeding them at all.

·
Super Moderator
8,677 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I personally would not, but I'm pretty risk adverse. I might let a trusted adult dog chew on it for 5 minutes and then throw it away, but I don't do that very often. My dogs occasionally get a large recreational bone to chew on (beef knuckle bone), but I try to never give in between sized bones.

I would say your dog is a West German Show Line, the same as mine. Does he have a pedigree?
Hmmm... It's a good idea maybe to time it 15 mins max. I'll actually give it ago.

Show line? Oh wow I didn't expect that as he is very lean for his weight and his back isn't a sloped one at all. Which features made you think he might be a WGSL if I may ask?

Nope he doesn't have a pedigree unfortunately!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hmmm... It's a good idea maybe to time it 15 mins max. I'll actually give it ago.

Show line? Oh wow I didn't expect that as he is very lean for his weight and his back isn't a sloped one at all. Which features made you think he might be a WGSL if I may ask?

His face, he has the typical markings.

As for the bone, there is not enough meaty flesh on the bone.

It's not about feeding bones but bones encased in meaty flesh.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
233 Posts

A lot of second or third generation show lines don't seem to have much of a sloped back at all, in my experience. It does seem increasingly more difficult to import show lines without extreme sloped backs, but that doesn't necessarily apply to all show line dogs.

Anyway, his coat colors and pattern is classic black and red from show lines, this is very rare in working lines. His body and head shape just screams show line to me. He looks almost identical to my current puppy, except mine will probably have a slightly fuller coat / color once grown.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Kari01 Thanks for the insights, new info there for me. I had no idea newer generation show line has a back that's not sloped. I was under the impression that show lines are all big with sloped back. But I am of the opinion mine is black and tan as opposed to black and red (no problem either way, just my opinion!)

One of the things that made me think he was a working line was his VERY high prey drive. But come to think of it, his energy I'd say is a low 4 (medium to high). I heard that working lines are mostly 5s. We play fetch 10-20 mins a day and walk 15-30 mins per day and he's pretty content just lounging in the house, playing with his toys.

It does baffle me sometimes the fact that he weighs that much when I think he looks very lean. Most people think he's on the low 70s. Not that it's a problem!

Was wondering, do you have a picture of your pup? :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
But I am of the opinion mine is black and tan as opposed to black and red (no problem either way, just my opinion!)
No problem, black / tan and black / red are essentially the same thing. The difference just depends on the intensity of the red pigmentation (which can also vary by eye vs camera vs lighting vs opinion). The really rich deep reds are desirable in show lines, but they don't all end up with great pigmentation.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Kari01 I was under the impression that red is darker! Cool.

He does have similar colour to mine! He's big too for that age. HI DOG!!!!!

·
Registered
10,909 Posts
Regarding your question about the rib bones or any bones besides the non-weight baring poultry bones: I only give these to pups until they are half way teething. Deja gets meaty bones and these are her only chew item. I need to save these teeth for the rest of her life. So far so good; 6 years old, still sharp and pearly white teeth. No cracks or broken teeth. And never tennis balls (too abrasive)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Regarding your question about the rib bones or any bones besides the non-weight baring poultry bones: I only give these to pups until they are half way teething. Deja gets meaty bones and these are her only chew item. I need to save these teeth for the rest of her life. So far so good; 6 years old, still sharp and pearly white teeth. No cracks or broken teeth. And never tennis balls (too abrasive)
Thanks, wolfy dog. How often do you give Deja meaty bones to chew if I may ask?

·
Registered
10,909 Posts
Thanks, wolfy dog. How often do you give Deja meaty bones to chew if I may ask?
Meaty bones are part of her daily diet (Meaty bones, organ meat and muscle meat: either chicken backs, wings (that I don't use myself) or turkey necks. It's not recreational chewing but soley for eating. It will take only a few minutes for a turkey neck and a few bites for a chicken neck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts