German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My friend just got a 5 month old puppy from the Humane Society, and we play together. I'd call neither of our dogs well trained. Puppy is almost 10 months old.

I'm wondering if this is appropriate play behavior? The lab puppy's owner is worried that her dog is playing too roughly. The other pup is extremely high energy. She can jump up on ALL FOURS when she gets excited.

My Puppy is a very docile girl in general, and is VERY tolerant of this pup's rough play. I'm really loving meeting up with the lab puppy because pup is reactive around other dogs in general. But when she is with the lab puppy and she sees other dogs, she doesn't bark and she stays within threshhold that I can call her off and work on socializing. So I'm keen to continue. Should we just do walks instead of romping? Pup is very happy to see the other puppy, and pulls to get to play with her.

Please ignore the poor video, I was trying to watch them and video at the same time.

I'm looking for some feedback on the play style, and the body language of both dogs! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I'd say it was typical..My sister has always had labs, and they can be real doofers when young, rough, pushy no manners :)) Your girl looks pretty tolerant of puppy's maybe somewhat lack of manners, and at some point, she may put the lab in her place if she/he does something yours doesn't like, which is fine to a point.

If you think one has had enough of the other, (and labs can be relentless!) I'd probably stop the play, but otherwise, I'd let them play play play since it seems they enjoy each other:)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You! I always play on a long line, so she can back off if she wants. I also call her away when its starting to look too heated and feed a treat, and let her hop right back in...just so she doesn't get too too worked up.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
marshies, sounds like your doing exactly what I'd do:) Well at some point yours may get fed up with that stuff and let the lab puppy 'have it', and again, as long as it isn't a "I'm gonna kill you lab" behavior, I'd let her correct the lab,,the lab owner may also want to step in and try correcting her (lab) pushy behavior.

At some point the lab may come across a dog that is not so tolerant of her nonsense and really beat the poop out of her

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Looks like normal play to me. Im not seeing anything in that clip to be concerned with.

Just try your best to read their body language. If either dog starts acting like they've had enough, just seperate them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts