German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi new here! I have been planning to get a German Shepherd pup for ages and the time has finally come! I will be getting a pup in the next few months or so :D

I've been doing my research for the past year but I simply don't know much about feeding large breed pups. Currently I own a Chihuahua who is fed raw. I'd love to put the GSD on raw too but when meat averages about $5-$6 a pound in my area, it's just not practicle. I'm not lucky enough to live by any cheap butchers/meat markets.

Anywho, I know calcium is a big deal but is there really a need to feed a specific puppy food? I was wondering if this adult food would be okay for a pup since the calcium is low, or is their something else in puppy food that matters? BLUE Wilderness Grain-Free Large Breed Dog Food - Food - Dog - PetSmart

I was going to go with Orijen puppy since my dog used to eat that brand but uh don't think I can do that price :/

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
My understanding is that the puppy food for large breed pups is formulated for the pup's proper growth because a pup has different nutritional needs than an adult dog and a large bred pup needs different food than a small to medium size pup. Also the adult food can be too rich for a pup and cause digestive upsets. Since price is a consideration for you, I suggest you try Purinea One or Proplan for large breed puppies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts