German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I will try to be as precise as possible. We all have to work, unless filthy rich...
Anyway, my issue is, I have a 7 1/2 month old male GSD, Charlie. Charlie wakes up w/ us at 5:45 am to go potty, eat and play a little until 7:30 am when we have to leave for work. He goes into his xpen.

I go home at noon each work day to let him out, brush him and stay with him for an hour. He goes back into his xpen.

We come home at 5:15 pm. At which time he is let out, fed, walked, taken to the park, empty golf course, etc, until 9 pm or so. Then we come home so he can rest from all that running...Then he goes to sleep in his xpen at about 10 pm or so.

The issue is, we live in south TX. It is SCORCHING hot here, therefore poor Charlie refuses to be outside during summer until about 6 pm or so.

I feel guilty because I don't know if my GSD is kept way too long in an xpen and/or indoors due to work and summer heat.

Of course on the weekends it's a different story, he's barely in xpen, unless I have to clean or something.

Does this sound like a normal day for you all? Am I providing enough exercise to him? The day only has 24 hrs. I wish I could do more.....
I wish I could leave him home alone roaming BUT it's not time yet....

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Sounds totally normal to me. When it gets really hot here we usually wait until later to do some real outdoor playing so that Molly does not over heat. If we play with her right after work when it is warm, we usually bring out her kiddie pool or turn on the sprinklers to cool her down. She loves to play in her pool and with the sprinkler. It keeps her cool and tires her out

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I look at my dogs to see if they are getting what they need from me.

If they are happy, well behaved, and easy to live with in the house, then I'm on the right track.

If instead, they are driving me nutso, being poorly behaved, bouncing off the walls, destructive, pestering me, won't relax around the house, barking too much, not listening, chewing MY stuff......... those are all their not so subtle ways of telling me I need to adjust something to fill their needs better.

I will say, that he's the perfect age (if you didn't do so already) to start up the dog classes. Pro-active way to prevent problems and issues from coming up. Continues with the socializaiton all our pups need in combination with giving us the skills and abilities to 'lead' our dogs thru the rest of their lives.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Originally Posted By: MaggieRoseLeeI look at my dogs to see if they are getting what they need from me.

If they are happy, well behaved, and easy to live with in the house, then I'm on the right track.

If instead, they are driving me nutso, being poorly behaved, bouncing off the walls, destructive, pestering me, won't relax around the house, barking too much, not listening, chewing MY stuff......... those are all their not so subtle ways of telling me I need to adjust something to fill their needs better.

I will say, that he's the perfect age (if you didn't do so already) to start up the dog classes. Pro-active way to prevent problems and issues from coming up. Continues with the socializaiton all our pups need in combination with giving us the skills and abilities to 'lead' our dogs thru the rest of their lives.

I SO agree!!!!!

Also when it does get THAT miserable outside I find that they basically lay back a bit and don't WAT to be playful as much - We have the AC on for them but they show decreased interest in going outside (even when I AM HOME) due to the scorching temps..........
I think most animals inherintly know when to lie low.......

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Sounds normal to me. When he's a bit older you won't have to leave him in the Xpen anymore and that will make you feel better.

I work at home so I get to see what my dogs do all day. Guess what? They sleep. Every now and then one will get up, stretch, get a drink of water, maybe bark at the passing UPS man, but then he lays back down and goes to sleep. They go out to play in the mornings and in the cool of the evenings.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW Emoore...your words really calm me down. I thought they had this same incredible energy they have when I come home all day long....but your dogs may be older, are they?

Anywho, being from Austin yourself I you must know what I mean by this scorching heat. And mine is black, so it's even worse.

I can't wait to trust him enough to leave him roaming around on his own. Let's see when that happens...

Thanks again for your words, sure as heck makes me feel lots and lots better.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Originally Posted By: frenchWOW Emoore...your words really calm me down. I thought they had this same incredible energy they have when I come home all day long....but your dogs may be older, are they?
One of them is six, but the other's only a little over a year and working-lines to boot. He sleeps most of the day and then goes nuts when it's time for exercise and training.

Interestingly enough, they're calm and sleeping all day while I'm at home, but when Dad gets home from work at 5:00, watch out! They jump around, barking and turning circles like it's the most exciting thing in the world. Poor old Mom is chopped liver compared to Dad.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Originally Posted By: EmooreI work at home so I get to see what my dogs do all day. Guess what? They sleep. Every now and then one will get up, stretch, get a drink of water, maybe bark at the passing UPS man, but then he lays back down and goes to sleep. They go out to play in the mornings and in the cool of the evenings.
Same experience here. I'm single so I have to leave Candy alone while I'm at work. I have a webcam hooked up so I can see what she's doing and 9 times out of 10, she's napping on the AC vent. She has full run of the house while I'm out.

Candy is from east german working lines. Has a ton of energy so it's walk first thing in the morning with some play or training time, walk as soon as I get home with more play or training time, walk again and a quick walk just before bed. Each walk is one mile. Some days I get her to the dog park or dog pool for extended outdoor time. Twice a week she goes to work with me and stays at a nearby daycare.

I recently bought a house so I'm busy painting and fixing it up. Some days I need to cut her walks down so I can finish the work. Is she bored? I'm guessing she is cuz she watching me rub those sticks with the fur on them all over the walls again. She's VERY patient in that regard. I'm hoping thats because I keep her active enough on the normal days. Sounds like the OP is too...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts