German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. My boo is about 4 months now. He is always active around the house, running acting silly and stuff. I also have a JR (Jack Russell) & my jr is very calm all of the time and follows me everywhere.. My GSD ALWAYS wants to play with him and bites my gsd n jumps on him and stuff. Myjr gets really mad so i push away my gsd and he growls and barks at me. Sometimes nibbles on my hands, is this aggression or what? I read something about Alpha pack leader, is tjis the case?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
443 Posts
It sounds like he's trying to get you to play. Growling, barking, and nipping are all ways they play with other dogs. So is "pushing." When you push him away he probably thinks you're playing. Teach him how to play with you; bring out a toy and engage him. Play a little tug, throw a ball, whatever. If your GSD is bothering your other dog, separate them. I don't have a problem with dogs warning each other that they don't want to be bothered, but if the obnoxious dog doesn't listen it's your job to make him stop. Make sure they both get some alone time with you, either playing or cuddling or whatever they're into.

I don't believe this is aggression. This is a puppy being a puppy.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
It isn't aggression, this is how a normal 4 month old GSD puppy plays. Replace your hand with a soft toy and play with him.

Your JRT should not be subjected to constant harassment by the pup. He was there first and his comfort level needs to be considered now that you have another dog in the house. Not to mention that as your Boo grows, his playfulness can cause accidental harm to the terrier. It is your job to protect the smaller dog, and to give keep him safe from constant puppy harassment and potential harm - supervise your dogs, prevent the pup from annoying the older dog. Keep them seperated if needed, and YOU provide the play and exercise and interaction the pup needs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts