German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roxy will turn 4 months on the 30th of this month...

so far
potty trained, sit , stay , leave it, lay down, shake, loose leash - coming along nicely , not too much sassing , little bit still on the howling when I leave...sleeps from 11pm - 6am ( maybe every few nights she has an early morning potty break)
does want to charge at the cats..but they egg her on...and I know it's something we will have to break her of but I'm blaming it just as much on the teasing cats right now. So we try to limit their time together right now.

takes lots of naps ..but when she's playing...she plays hard. Biting -- very rare..and I do use the can of pet corrector spray ( for biting only)...NO BITE and one quick burst is all it took. Now all I do is set the spray where she can see it while we all play together and that's enough to remind her not to bite. ( nips -- yeah she's a baby...she still nips when she's going for a toy)

Her and I start classes on the 22nd. I'm anxious to see how she does and will be happy to start socializing her with other dogs and people. The vet here did not want me walking her around anywhere other than our yard until her next set of shots.. ( also on the 22nd) ...we live out in the rural area...but in town where all the trails are he said no ..we have a parvo outbreak in town :( that makes me sad.

anyhow ..can anybody please tell me that we just got an exceptionally good dog and can expect this to last...or is this just one of those calms before the storm??? :) ( lie if you must)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just got my puppy Timbre on april 28th and except for 1 exception I've been asking myself the same question. I keep hearing about "land sharks" but except for the problem with my sister in law Timbre is dare I say perfect.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
reply -- thank you guys!!!

LOL I had 2 new to Roxy friends over for coffee this am....she did her usual meet and greet and then proceeded to take a nap the whole time they were here...and we are LOUD coffee drinkers.
I think she just goes with the flow here..when we are up and busy running around..that's what she does. When we are chilling out..she does that too.

I think I may have begun solving the howling when I'm gone. I moved her crate out to the kitchen which is where I spend a good part of my busy time...and that's where she spends most of her "busy" work /toy playing while I putter around. Her crate had been in the front room where she sleeps and I've been hanging out of the couch part of the night while she sleeps. I don't know if since I am not on the couch while she's in her "bed"..this was the problem?
I put the crate in the kitchen today and took off ..knowing that in about 1/2 hour after I was gone my daughter would be home on her lunch hour. I told her to listen when she got in the driveway ...talked to her later and she said nope..she was asleep in the crate with one of her kongs.
OK this will really help if I can get that howling under control. That right now was my only real concern. Well that an all the naps she takes during the day...but I hear that's normal too for a growing puppy.
I better knock on some wood somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
5,837 Posts
Russell is not "land-sharky" at all either. He spent 9 weeks with his littermates, and his mother. My breeder works with the puppies all the time, redirecting with toys, etc, so by the time you get a puppy from her, it's well on it's way to not being "bitey".

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Russell is not "land-sharky" at all either. He spent 9 weeks with his littermates, and his mother. My breeder works with the puppies all the time, redirecting with toys, etc, so by the time you get a puppy from her, it's well on it's way to not being "bitey".
Roxy was with her litter mates until we brought her home at 11 weeks. She's really not that bitey either. When we are down on the floor with her is when it's the worst but usually a good "uh-uh" in my moms voice settles her down.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Does your pup jump at all?

The only thing that I was reading recently is that puppies with hip problems are the most perfect puppies people ever have in terms of behavior, sleeping, not jumping, calm etc etc etc.... and it scared the (.........) out of me. I am trying to locate the article, it was on PET MD.

Anyways I am sure your pup is just sweet =) we on the other hand have a evil sharkperd.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Shasta was a very easy pup.

My new guy seems to be turning into the landshark of doom.... He's 8 weeks of opinionated cuteness. We'll see...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Argos is 14 weeks old he knows sit, come, stay, down, down stay, take nice, find it, leave it and I am sure there are a few more. Hew has had only one accident in the house "that was my fault" for not letting him out he was whining at the door :) He is getting better at not mouthing so much but still has the occasional mouthing. He was kennel trained from the day we got him at 8 weeks never whines sleeps from 1am - 8am with no waking up. Walks off leash and stays right beside me even when he sees a rabbit "we have tons here"

He is a little angel the only thing we have to work on is him barking at dogs when he sees them he is quite friendly and loves to play but will bark at them until he is right up to their face.

So yes I would say it is common but would also say that she is just really smart :) and you are just lucky you didn't get a little unholy terror lol.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

LOL oh yeah she jumps...but I've probably been coddling her because I read that they shouldn't be doing a bunch of jumping...which the vet said..let her be a puppy...so oh she jumps. And she took our steps from day 1 until I read she shouldn't take steps and I was carrying her butt up and down... again the vet said..don't do that let her be....I bet he thinks I"m a nut case.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
again my only issue I see right now with Roxy is she howls when I go to the store. Which makes me feel guilty and sad...but I go and I don't make a big deal about leaving ..in fact I try to sneak out by giving her a kong with shapes shoved in it.
If I can just get her to understand I will come back ..and not howl..we'll be good.
I am pretty sure it goes on the whole time I'm gone..I can hear it when I pull out of the driveway and I hear it when I pull in.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
LOL oh yeah she jumps...but I've probably been coddling her because I read that they shouldn't be doing a bunch of jumping...which the vet said..let her be a puppy...so oh she jumps. And she took our steps from day 1 until I read she shouldn't take steps and I was carrying her butt up and down... again the vet said..don't do that let her be....I bet he thinks I"m a nut case.
pfft they can jump and they will. Just prevent it from the sofa, tall bed, chairs and several steps (deck). off the floor jumping and on the grass, you really cant stop lol.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Have you ever thought about crate training her you may come back one day to an unpleasant surprise if not for example your couch ripped up etc..

again my only issue I see right now with Roxy is she howls when I go to the store. Which makes me feel guilty and sad...but I go and I don't make a big deal about leaving ..in fact I try to sneak out by giving her a kong with shapes shoved in it.
If I can just get her to understand I will come back ..and not howl..we'll be good.
I am pretty sure it goes on the whole time I'm gone..I can hear it when I pull out of the driveway and I hear it when I pull in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts