German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight we took our 2 yo GSD and our 14 week old GSD pup to play in the park, Our 2 yo shes more attached to my husband than she is to me, but the pup he is more attached to me than my husband. I was running and playing with BOTH dogs and the pup of course being more attached to me would follow me where ever i went. Well he was right there by my legs everywhere i went and my girl would come up to him and get between me and him then she would kinda growel and then she would bite him, ive seen them play and and ive never seen her act that way towards him before. Everytime without fail she would come between me and him and she didnt like the fact that he was following me. Im not sure what to make of this, is this behavior normal is she showing him who is boss? Do i correct this kind of behavior or do i let them be? Does my girl feel left out?

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
If you are getting a bad feeling and don't think it's play, then it may not be.

But instead of correcting and possibly adding more stress to the situation for the older dog, I'd go for an approach that's more about 'managing' the situation to prevent it.

If you need to walk the dogs separately for awhile. Or keep the leash on the older dog. Or start the walk together but then have your husband go off to play a rousing game of chuckit with the older dog.....

Exercise, managment, paying attention (which you are and need to continue) and possibly planning a bit more to be proactive and come up with activities for the older dog for the next month or so while you are easing the new puppy into the family.

I know the easiest thing for me would be to get the 2 year old involved in some great dog activity. So obedience or rally or herding or agility or flyball or freestyle or............ Fun activities to keep an smart active dog busy and involved so they don't have the tendency to over-obsess and possibly cause a situation with the new puppy.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
You said she's more attached to your husband. Maybe she sees this park as her special place to be with you and resents the puppy butting in on her time. Maybe next time, try having your husband occupy with the puppy while you play with the older dog.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah thats what i was doing yesterday having my husband hold beowulf and i would walk out a ways with Annie and i would play with only her. I had the thought in mind that maybe she was resentful because she thought of the park as her time. So i didnt want her to feel left out, or that i liked the pup better. She is so good with beo any other time just not when we were in the park. thank you for replying

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would love to do agility with her, but about a year ago she broke her leg and im not sure if it would be good on her if we did do agility with her, she wouldnt be too old to start now with her is she?

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Agility would be a great bonding experience for her! I used to do it with Morgan, she loved it.

I don't think 2 is too late to start anything. Check with your vet if she should be restricted from doing anything and tell the trainer about her leg. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much all

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I never even heard of agility until my first dog was 4, and that's when we started. Many people start later than that! NEver too late to start up any dog thing really, as long as your dog is in shape for it.

If it's been a year since the leg was broken, and your dog is fit and lean, so generally in normal good shape, there should be NO problem starting up agility. Specially cause all the earlier classes should start low and slow and onleash.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do but keep in mind that agility is the best dog sport anyone can choose in the entire world (least that's what I heard
)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts